The Holy Grail of Sweet Potatoes


I think I could live without any other dish at Thanksgiving dinner, as long as I have these Candied Sweet Potatoes. Sticky, gooey, creamy and chewy, they are truly the Holy Grail of sweet potatoes! It is my mother's recipe and she has faithfully made it every year for as long as I can remember. Even when we went to someone else's house for Thanksgiving, she would be asked to bring them. I get farklempt just thinking about them!

The recipe is very easy and only requires a few ingredients. The trick is reducing the syrup a little on the stove, before you pour it over the sweet potatoes and bake them. They take a while to make, but I promise, they are worth it!

Candied Sweet Potatoes

2 lbs. sweet potatoes
3 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup Karo dark corn syrup
3/4 cup Karo light corn syrup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 bag miniature marshmallows

Heat oven to 425 degrees.

Bake sweet potatoes until half-baked, about 40 minutes. Remove, cool, peel and slice lengthwise into wedges about 1 inch thick. Line a large baking dish with the potato wedges. Dot all over with thin slices of butter.

Add the next 4 ingredients to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. It will bubble furiously. Continue boiling over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
.

Pour over sweet potatoes and bake for 45-50 minutes, until syrup is thick and gooey.

Top with marshmallows and bake another 3 minutes, until marshmallows are nicely puffed and toasted.

Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
These look absolutly amazing! I will try these but ,wow, so much corn syrup. Yum!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Megan- They are pretty decadent. I guess that's why we only have them once a year! ;)
Helene said…
I always feel like candied weet potatoes should be part of the dessert table. Looks decadent, waistline-busting gooooooooddd!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Tartelette- Yes, this is definitely not diet food. That is why we only make them once a year, even though I could eat them once a week!
Anonymous said…
Hi SGCC

I just noticed that there is no spices in this recipe such as cinammon, nutmeg etc. Also no flavoring such as vanilla, by using corn syrup in this recipe there is no need for any spices or flavorings, I think corn syrup do have vanilla in it.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Anonymous- You could certainly put spices in this dish if you wanted. I have intentionally left them out because my mom has a serious sensitivity to both cinnamon and nutmeg. They both make her violently ill! I never thought about adding vanilla. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.
Unknown said…
This is just like my grandmother used to make and exactly what I was looking from. She's from the old south, and this was a staple! especiallay at Thanksgiving. The only difference is she never put it in the over except to brown the marshmallows. Made everything on top of the stove in a huge cast-iron skillet! What a memory! Thanks.

Popular Posts