The Omnivore's Hundred from Very Good Taste

omnivore3

I've been seeing a lot of this fun little survey around the blogs for the past week or so, and it intrigued me. I thought I'd try it for myself. The survey originated with Andrew at Very Good Taste as a list of foods that he feels every good omnivore should try at least once in their lives.

Here are the instructions:

1. Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2. Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3. Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4. Optional extra: Post a comment here linking to your results.

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare (Back in the day before we worried so much.)
5. Crocodile (I'm counting Alligator, which I've had several times!)
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart (Nothing like 'em!)
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese (Ew!)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche (Oh yeah, baby!)
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (Cognac, yes - fat cigar, no!)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (in college!)
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill (Deer that's been accidentally run over)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox (What's a Saturday morning without this?)
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake

Hmmm. I think I did rather well! I've tried 82 out of the 100 food items at least once. That doesn't mean that I liked them all, though. I don't think I'll ever eat head cheese, rattlesnake, sea urchin or haggis again. The absinthe gave me a killer headache! And, no matter what the cost, I just don't like malt whisky.

So, what about you? Care to play along?

How many of these foods have you tried?

Which did you love? Which did you hate.

Which would you never touch, and why?

Talk to me!

And, when you're through, go and talk to Andrew too!

Comments

Cakespy said…
Sheesh, you're an adventurous one!! I don't think I've hit as many on the list as you!
Anonymous said…
Wow, you're a true foodie!! It's clear there are plenty of items still out there for me to try. I did try sweetbreads once in my mid-20s, by accident. I was out at Aureole in NYC with my sister and a colleague of my father's. We were selecting appetizers and I ordered the sweetbreads, thinking I was going to get a basket of muffins or something. Ha! I had no idea what I was looking at when the plate came, but to save face in front of my dad's friend I just ate them. Chewy! Later that night, my sister says to me, "Gee, I didn't realize you were so adventurous, ordering the sweetbreads!" I asked her, "What were those things anyway?" She fell over laughing and told me. It's true that sometimes ignorance is bliss :-)
Anonymous said…
I think you've done better than anyone else I've seen. Wow. You are a serious gourmet!
Jules said…
And I thought I was good ticking 50 or so off the list!
Constance said…
You are abrave and fearless eater ! I'm going to stel this, with your permission :)
I think I've only eaten about 10 of them...
Andrea Meyers said…
I've been toying with doing this list for fun on my blog. You've done quite well with the list! Braver than I for sampling sweetbreads. ;-)
Nanc Twop said…
'
That's quite a list... I just did the vege one, so I'll try this and get back to you

;-)
Sarah R said…
I did them all a couple days ago (omni, veg and vegan)... I was shocked at how few I did!
Heather said…
Even though I usually hate memes, this one is good (and voluntary). I did mine!
Manggy said…
Gosh, you did EXTREMELY well! My count, I think, is despairingly low. I just have not had the traveling opportunities and some of those on the list are on the expensive side. As if I would ever have any qualms eating a Big Mac meal. Yum :)
J.L. Danger said…
MIne would have been FULL of lines. I need to bulk up on food bravery!
I am 100% with you on never eating insects (although chocolate covered ants were not that dad in Biology)
Nanc Twop said…
'
Got a chance to go thru the 'Omni' list whilst the U.S. Open was on - two trips we went on helped us 'net' a lot of 'hits' on this one...

My Omni 100 list

Thanks for posting it!
CookiePie said…
What a fantastic list - and I admire how adventurous you are!
PheMom said…
LOL! I did this the other day and it just confirmed that I am still picky and not terribly adventurous! You did great on your list.
Maria said…
What a fun list!! Looks like you are up for almost anything!
Maggie said…
Impressive list!
Anonymous said…
What a fun list! I got 89. That year of working/living in India really paid off in this one. I'm just curious though, what's a Dirty Girl Martini? Dare I ask? Bises, Ms. Glaze
Anonymous said…
ooops, I lied, I got 83. I had to re-count and I guess I read that martini wrong too. Just a dirty martini. Dirty Girl martini sounds more interesting doesn't it?
Anonymous said…
I thought this list was so fun! Here's mine! You beat me by a ton! :)
Nicole said…
Fun fun fun. I will have to do this. Although my palette is sadly lacking. At a guess I have probably only had half of what's there! If that...
Anonymous said…
this is cool! when i find the time, i'm gonna sit down with the list and see what i've actually tasted :D
Anonymous said…
This is the second time I've seen this list and I still can't believe roadkill is an option!

I'm impressed that you've tried absinthe - I've always wanted to try it!
Kathy said…
This looks like fun Susan, I can see I have lived a very sheltered life when it comes to food, some of these items I have not even heard of. You did amazing though. but, your Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte, now that I would try.

I really like your blog, I am a newish blogger and am taking part in "Blog day, 31st August" and will be recommending your blog to all my friends, I discovered you from Marie "Proud Italian Cook" one of my favourite blogs. Kathy
Anonymous said…
Wow - you got a great score! I keep meaning to take this little quiz.
Anonymous said…
WOW!!! 82. Got me beat! Isn't it fun tho.
I'm surprised that I've a lot of them. But, I don't think I have the nerve to eat some of the ones I haven't tried, such as oxtail. I get a lump in my throat just thinking of it. But, I did make huevos rancheros for breakfast this morning, one of my all time favorites! This was fun, Susan (like you). :)

Popular Posts