I've been seeing a lot of this fun little survey around the blogs for the past week or so, and it intrigued me. I thought I'd try it for myself. The survey originated with Andrew at Very Good Taste as a list of foods that he feels every good omnivore should try at least once in their lives.
Here are the instructions:
1. Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2. Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3. Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4. Optional extra: Post a comment here linking to your results.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare (Back in the day before we worried so much.)
5. Crocodile (I'm counting Alligator, which I've had several times!)
7. Cheese fondue
10. Baba ghanoush
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart (Nothing like 'em!)
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese (Ew!)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche (Oh yeah, baby!)
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
35. Root beer float
Cognac with a fat cigar (Cognac, yes - fat cigar, no!)
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (in college!)
41. Curried goat
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
60. Carob chips
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
Roadkill (Deer that's been accidentally run over)
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox (What's a Saturday morning without this?)
97. Lobster Thermidor
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Hmmm. I think I did rather well! I've tried 82 out of the 100 food items at least once. That doesn't mean that I liked them all, though. I don't think I'll ever eat head cheese, rattlesnake, sea urchin or haggis again. The absinthe gave me a killer headache! And, no matter what the cost, I just don't like malt whisky.
So, what about you? Care to play along?
How many of these foods have you tried?
Which did you love? Which did you hate.
Which would you never touch, and why?
Talk to me!
And, when you're through, go and talk to Andrew too!