Dear Santa, All I want for Christmas are Some Prayers.

Two Girls Praying, by Emile Munier (1840-1895)

Two Girls Praying by Emile Munier (1840-1895)

I know you've all been waiting for details from my cruise, or for Linzer Sables (which I did make). Or, perhaps you were expecting another crazy, madcap story about my adventures as an Accident Prawn. Maybe you've been looking for some telltale sign that the Holidays are upon us. I've tried, but I just don't have it in me right now.

You see, I did have a wonderful time on my cruise. It was relaxing and rejuvenating and wonderful. But, the series of events which transpired this past week has sapped me of my holiday enthusiasm and left me a little limp.

While still basking in the afterglow of a whole week the Caribbean, the first thing that Mr. SGCC did when we got home was turn on his cell phone. Big mistake! Waiting for him was a message that one of his clients had died. Not just any client, mind you, but a three year-old baby, who for the past two years lay in a nursing home, hopelessly brain damaged due to being violently shaken by his foster mother. This little boy had suffered so much! Some say that perhaps his passing was a blessing. I only feel overwhelming sadness at the tragic and senseless destruction of child's life.

A few days later, my in-laws called with more terrible news. Mr. SGCC's closest cousin P. had passed away. It was very sudden and completely unexpected. P. went in to get a routine flu shot, like millions of others do each year. Whatever was in the vaccine reacted negatively with another medication that P. was taking and twenty-four hours later, he was gone. Just like that. Gone. P. was only two years older than we are (and we aren't old). He was an only child and his father died last April. Now, his mother, Mr. SGCC's aunt, has lost her entire family within six months time.

My husband and his cousin grew up together. They spent every holiday, Spring Break and summer vacation together. Neither had siblings, so they were like each other's brother. P. lived in Pennsylvania and we live in Florida. Though "the boys" didn't get to visit very often in recent years, the bond was still there. As for me, I liked P. very much. He was warm and sweet and funny and genuine. He will be sorely missed.

Duerer-Prayer

Albrecht Durer's Praying Hands

Now, I'd like to tell you about my dear Uncle Sal. He's is a tough, old, wiry seventy-two year-old guy with the unfailing energy of a twenty-five year-old. He grew up in the same little Italian town as my father, and eventually married Dad's little sister. For over fifty years he's been a devoted husband, father and grandfather. Uncle Sal has survived cancer, open heart surgery and two serious car crashes. (Did I mention he was tough?) He's also the only Italian I've ever known with red hair and freckles!

On Saturday afternoon, Uncle Sal was up in his avocado tree picking avocados. At seventy-two, his tree climbing days should be long over, but nobody could ever tell HIM that. He lost his balance and somehow grabbed onto a live power line. Electricity jolted through his body as he plunged twenty-five feet to the ground. By some miracle he barely survived the fall, but his injuries are catastrophic. He is badly burned over much of his body and has broken his arm, leg, pelvis, sacrum, 8 ribs and several vertebra in his back. He was airlifted to a hospital in Tampa where he was in surgery all Saturday night. He is now in the burn unit in critical condition.

We have no idea at this point if, when or how he will recover from this. I do know that any recovery will surely be long and grueling. I am putting this out there because if there was ever a time my family needed some extra prayers, this is it. I am a firm believer in the power of prayer and if you are too, please put in a good word for my uncle.

So, my dear readers, as you now know, this has been a helluva week here in SGCC Land. Cooking and baking have been pretty far down the list of my priorities. I hope to be back on track tomorrow with my weekly Tuesdays with Dorie post. I'm heating the oven up now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
me encanto tu blog, te invito a visitar el mio, besos
Mary said…
What an awful turn of events! I'll be praying for you and your family!
Anonymous said…
I am so sorry to hear of your terrible week & sorrow. Our thoughts are with you and your families.
Oh Susan, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! Big hugs to you too!
Big big hugs to you Susan. I'm sorry all that had to happen to you at once. That flu shot story just stunned me. It goes to show you that you should never take loved ones for granted.

I wish Uncle Sal a speedy recovery. Maybe you and I are related somehow. My paternal grandmother was a redheaded (SOUTHERN!) Italian too.
Elle said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Anonymous said…
Thoughts and prayers coming your way! Hang in there!
J.L. Danger said…
Susan- Me and my family will keep you in our thoughts and prayer and send you all well wishes and lots of positive energy.
Jodie said…
So sorry to hear of these awful events. You and your family are in our prayers!
Sorry to hear about all this.....your last couple of weeks is like our year has been.....broken into, 1 week later a drugged up person trying to enter our home WHILE we were home, husband brother killed in logging accident (he was from PA also) 3 days AFTER the home invader, Aunt Nancy dies 2 weeks later after brother dying, then have to put one of the family pets down. I know what you are dealing with....it has just been one of those years!!!!!!!!!!!! WE are praying for you!
Lore said…
I'm really sorry for both losses! Moments like these make me struggle to believe that they should somehow make sense at a greater level. But how? Sending hugs and prayers your way
LyB said…
Susan, I won't say I know what you're going through, but I know how you must feel. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. {{{Big hugs going your way}}}
squawmama said…
Susan... I don't know what to say except I am so sorry for all your misfortunes that have happened in the last week or so...My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family... Bless you all...

(((BIG HUGS)))
Donna
Oh Susan this is all such shocking news for your family. Of course our thoughts and prayers will be with you today and always.Thank you also for putting life in perspetive for me at least.
Such terrible news! I like that you are turning to your love of baking as therapy.

::hug::
Anonymous said…
Oh my, Susan...I'm so sorry to hear of all this. You and your family are in my thoughts.
Unknown said…
My heart goes out to you and yours! You will be in my thoughts~
Little Ol' Liz said…
You've put my woes in perspective. I'm sending you warm thoughts. Pizzelles, too, if I get them figured out. I hope the events in your lives settle this week.
RecipeGirl said…
Susan- I'm terribly sad to hear all of your news. HUGE hugs and prayers go out to you and your family.
Here's thoughts and prayers coming your way...
Anonymous said…
My thoughts are with you and your family...
The Food Hunter said…
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.
Vicki said…
My thoughts, prayers, and big cyberhugs to you & your family.
Farmer Jen said…
Prayers and healing energy are coming your way.
Anonymous said…
Susan-I'm saying a prayer for you and your family. It's awful to have these unexpected things happen, and worse when they come in waves. Hang in there.
TKTC said…
If it's prayers you want (and most certainly need), the family is certainly in mine.
Words can't tell you how sorry I am for your losses. Your family is in my thoughts.
Debbie said…
I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through such a bad time.....I'll keep you and your family in my prayers and send good thoughts your way....
Susan, I'm so sorry...you and your family are in my prayers.
Manggy said…
Oh, Susan, I'm so sorry about yours and Mr. SGCC's loss, as well as the critical condition Uncle Sal is in. I too believe in the power of prayer and I have them (and the two of you as well, hope you guys are feeling better) in my thoughts.
Sarah said…
Susan, I hardly know how to say how sorry I am to hear this news. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Lori Lynn said…
Sincerely wish I had something to say that could help. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way. So sorry for your losses. Godspeed to Uncle Sal.
Unknown said…
My goodness! You have had a rough week. I'm so sorry to hear all that. I will definitely keep you in my prayers. God is the ultimate Healer, though we sometimes don't like the way He chooses to heal. I will pray for healing, comfort, and peace as well as wisdom for the doctors taking care of your uncle. I'll also pray for the hubby...losing a patient is always hard, no matter how sick they already are! One of my favorite patients died in September, and even though he was very sick, it was sad.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Oh my goodness. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I'll light a candle for Uncle Sal. He sounds like an incredible man!

It has been a bad month for many. I've read quite a few blogs in the past month that have delivered bad news.
Take care!
~ingrid
Anonymous said…
Oh good grief! What terrible news all at once as well. I'm sorry for the losses. I hope things feel somewhat normal soon and your pain is eased.
Donna said…
Susan, you don't know me and don't know that I am not some religious fanatic (which I am not).
I feel that when you pray with someone you should touch them, their hand, their shoulder, etc.
I want you to feel me holding your hand. Lord, please wrap your arms around Susan and let her know you are with her. Lord bless her family. Help her in this time of great need. In your name, Lord. Amen.
Susan, A warm hug goes out to you and your family at this time. So sorry to hear of your losses, and the accident of your special uncle Sal.
Anonymous said…
I am so sorry to hear about the losses you and your husband have had to face, and all at once. My thoughts go out to you.
Definitely keeping ur family in my thoughts and prayers!

I just came back from a Caribbean cruise too - which one did u go on?

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com
mimi said…
i haven't had much time to comment on any blogs recently but i just had to for you! i'm so sorry about your loss and uncle sal, what terrible news! you and your family will be in my thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery!
thecoffeesnob said…
I'm so sorry to hear about your Uncle Sal as well as the losses your family faced recently. You and your family will certainly be in my prayers.
Cristine said…
I'm so sorry! Lots of prayers coming...
Anonymous said…
Susan, I'm so sorry. I will definitely keep you and your family members in my prayers.
Anonymous said…
It's just so strange when everything happens at once like this. How can you explain it. But I've been there when all feels like it's falling down around you. Hang in Sweety. It will all pass, though it's hard to believe right now. I'm here for you. You can email me anytime ;)
Susan @ SGCC said…
Dear Friends, Thank you so much for your prayers, warm thoughts and good wishes. I can feel it working. My family and I are truly touched by your caring and kindness.

My uncle is still in critical condition, but he stable for the time being. The doctors have put him in an induced coma so that they can do what they need to do for him. He is scheduled for more surgery today. They will be doing some skin grafting and plastic surgery to try to preserve his hand. That is all of the information I have right now, but I will keep you posted.
grace said…
i'm sorry so much grief got piled on you at one time! hang in there, and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Nic said…
Oh I'm so sorry Susan. I will keep you all in my thoughts.
Anonymous said…
What's the saying - troubles come not in single spies, but in batallions? I'm really sorry that things are so rough for you right now. I'll light a candle for you.
I am so sorry for all you've been having to experience. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Nina Timm said…
Susan, if you and your family were close by I would most probably have cooked for you guys for a weeks, because that is what I do when I do not know what else to say or do! My prayers are with you and your extended family.
Janet said…
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I feel the same way you do and feel a bit like the whole year has waited until this month to go to heck on me!

Best wishes,

Janet
Celeste said…
Susan - I'm so sorry to hear about this. You and your family will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers. -Celeste
Sending you and your loved ones many prayers, love and light.
MaryBeth said…
First off I am so glad that you allowed yourself to have a good time on your trip. Secondly I am so sorry about the horrible news waiting for you when you came home. The Dunkin household will keep you in their hearts and prayers.
~Kimberly said…
You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers this holiday season! So many tragedies for one family! I am truly sorry.
Anonymous said…
I am so incredibly sorry for what you and your family are going through right now - will definitely be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jescel said…
weeping lasts in the night but joy comes in the morning! it might be hard to see, but trust that in all of these, God is still in control!
Anonymous said…
Aw Susan, I am so sorry... I will definitely give you some prayers for Christmas!
Jen Yu said…
Hon, I'm so sorry about the recent losses in your lives. I'm hoping for the best for Sal - he sounds like a wonderfully feisty fella. Sending you a great big hug and lots of love and hope. xxoo
SteamyKitchen said…
Oh honey. A big big hug to you and huzb.

xoxo, j
Megan said…
WOW, your famiy is in my prayers!
Megan said…
WOW, your famiy is in my prayers!
Anonymous said…
I am so worried about you, Susan. You all have been through so much lately & I know that it has to be hard to grasp it all.
Please know that you are in our prayers. Also, if you need an ear, or anything, you know where to reach me.
Take care, take some time for yourself, and I hope you can find joy in all of the wonderful memories you have in your heart.
Jaime said…
i am so sorry for what your family has been going through. my thoughts are w/you

Popular Posts