TWD: French Yogurt Cake and an Irish Blessing

French-yogurt-cake1

Well, here we are on St. Patrick's Day and I'm posting about a French Yogurt Cake. Funny, huh? But today is TWD day, and this week's recipe is Dorie's French Yogurt Cake with Marmalade Glaze. I'm not complaining, though, because I liked Dorie's cake way better than I like Irish Soda Bread. Not that I dislike Irish Soda Bread, mind you. I just like a moist, delicious yogurt cake more.

Dorie says that a yogurt cake is one of the first things a French child learns to bake. I'm not surprised, because it is probably one of the easiest cakes to make. All of the ingredients get mixed into one bowl, poured into one pan, baked and voilĂ  - cake!

French-yogurt-cake3

While the recipe calls for this cake to be baked in a loaf pan, I decided to try mine in a nine-inch round cake pan. It just felt more like a cake to me that way. I also think that round cakes are prettier.

I also decided to flavor my cake with orange zest and orange flower water instead of the recommended lemon and vanilla. This was mostly because I could only find orange marmalade at the market and I didn't have time to make my own lemon marmalade. Besides, I really love the combination or orange and almond, and almond meal is one of the ingredients of this cake.

I'm no stranger to yogurt cakes. I've even made Dorie's yogurt cake before. Not only are they a snap to make, but they are wonderfully moist, light and absolutely lovely in their simplicity. This cake is no exception.

French-yogurt-cake2

Many thanks to Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction for selecting this week's recipe. It was a perfect choice. If you'd like to try Dorie's cake out for yourself, the recipe can be found here. If you'd like to see a whole lot of other French Yogurt Cakes, please stop by the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll.

Before I sign off today, I'd like to wish you all a very Happy St. Patrick's Day. Whatever your plans are, be well and stay safe.

Slainte Mhath!

Irish-Blessing3

Comments

Marthe said…
Your cake looks very good! I really liked this one too.

P.S. Don't forget to enter my giveaway!
Arundathi said…
gorgeous looking cake and lovely photographs! would love a slice with some tea!
Unknown said…
This looks so delicious!
Mmm - beautiful! I love the round shape - it looks fancier!


-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com
A wonderful cake! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Cheers,

Rosa
Anonymous said…
I love the French yogurt cake and yours looks absolutely gorgeous! Happy St. Patrick's day!
Cristine said…
Beautiful cake! Happy St. Patrick's Day!
chocolatechic said…
Your first picture just looks so inviting.

I'd love to come over for lunch.
Nina Timm said…
Beautiful Post, Susan! I LOVE the pictures!!!
Katrina said…
Delicious! Love the round cake!
Jennifer said…
This does seem the perfect cake to have with tea (or coffee). I agree, the round cake does look elegant AND delicious.
Stephanie said…
Gorgeous! Making it in a round pan definitely makes it look more like a cake.
Anonymous said…
Nothing wrong with celebrating all things multicultural on the same day. The cake looks really great. Nice photo as usual!
Fit Chick said…
Beautiful cake, and wonderful photos!!!
Anonymous said…
Your cake looks wonderful. Gorgeous pictures!
Jules Someone said…
That cake looks delicious. Lovely!
Anonymous said…
The round cake is lovely.
MaryBeth said…
Very beautiful cake...Much better than some you find in the expensive restaurants.
Heather B said…
Your pictures (and your cake!) look fabulous! Great job!
Cynthia said…
Can I come over for a slice or two and a cup of tea?
Anonymous said…
I love that you put this in a cake pan instead. I usually do the loaf thing but this will be a nice change. Very pretty!
PS I'm making your meatball ziti next week.:)
Happy St. Paddy's Day to you and your family and friends as well. We are on the same wave length today because I chose the same Irish poem for my post as well:D
Meg said…
What a lovely cake.
vibi said…
Beautiful, Susan!

...and a very happy Patty's day!

...love that little picture frame!
Emily Rose said…
yum! what a good idea to do it with orange instead of lemon- I'm going to try that next time! It looks so pretty in a cake pan too!
Cate said…
When my cousin visited from France a few years ago, she happened to be here for our Supper Club dinner and made a yogurt cake - yum! Pretty pictures - so Spring-like.
Irene said…
Gorgeous cake! I hope you find a lot of four-leaf clovers! :)
Elyse said…
Man, that cake looks delicious! I like that you baked it in a round cake pan--you're right, much more cake like that way. And I think the Irish Blessing is just beautiful. What a wonderful St. Patty's post.
Anonymous said…
Yum! Perfect place settings and I like how your glaze enhanced the appearance of the cake (I agree with the round choice as well :) ) .. I'm gonna give it another try, and incorporate your approach :)
Cakelaw said…
What gorgeous photos Susan - I love them! Hope you had a great St Pats Day.
Anonymous said…
Maybe on Bastille Day you can make Irish Soda Bread?

It's beautiful!
TeaLady said…
Absolutely elegant presentation. Beautiful cake. Great job.
CookiePie said…
What a lovely cake!! I would like my slice with some berries, please... :)
smc said…
A beautiful post, as usual!
Tangled Noodle said…
Loaf or round pan, this cake is lovely!
Snooky doodle said…
what a nice cake. It s simplicity is unique and so delicious. I love yogurt cakes. :) Nice photo
Anonymous said…
The round cake does look very classy - not as rustic as the loaf version. Great job :)
Anonymous said…
Your cake looks beautiful! I love your pictures!
Anonymous said…
Your cake looks beautiful! I love your pictures!
J.L. Danger said…
looks good! But of course, it always does! Hope your St. Patricls day was great!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful yogurt cake! I love your flavorings. ;)

As well this poem is really nice and says so much. Happy belated St. Paddy's day to you as well!
Unknown said…
Your photos are gorgeous! Great job on the cake!
hope you had a happy st patrick's day! lovely cake--orange flower water is wonderful!
Anonymous said…
Maybe you've started a new French-Irish tradition! The cake looks and sounds wonderful:)
Pam said…
Wow. This looks so delicious and pretty too...great photos.
Sihan said…
lovely photos! i love the set up you have.
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Looks wonderful. I've enjoyed this week's posting of TWD, all the photos have been droolicious and yours is no exception. Love that last one, you can see all that lovely orange zest!
~ingrid
Laurie said…
What a beautiful cake, I bet it is super moist!
Engineer Baker said…
That's probably my favorite Irish blessing. And not to disdain my heritage as a 90% Irishwoman, that yogurt cake looks waaaaay better than soda bread. Gorgeous!

Popular Posts