TWD: Tiramisu Cake

tiramisu-cake-4

In the introduction to her recipe for Tiramisu Cake, Dorie states that "there was a time in the 1990's when probably the only way to avoid tiramisu would have been to go to Antarctica - and even then you might not be sure it wouldn't turn up." Boy, did she ever hit the nail right on THAT head! I can't recall one single dinner party we ever went to or any restaurant we ever ate at during that time where tiramisu was NOT on the menu! I remember this so well because I don't really like tiramisu. Now, that may seem contradictory to those of you who have heard me declare my undying love for mascarpone, or who have seen recipe after recipe on this blog in which it appears as an ingredient, but it's true. I don't like it. I hate soggy food, and traditional tiramisu is made with a base of Italian ladyfingers, called savoiardi, that is soaked with with coffee and booze. True, it is filled with a creamy and delicious mascarpone-based cream. But, I just can't get past those mushy, squishy savoiardi! So, rather than offend a proud and enthusiastic hostess who presented me with a heaping portion of her "special" tiramisu, I'd usually just pick out the cream filling and feed the rest to the plants.

tiramisu-cake-1

Needless to say, that when I saw that this week's TWD assignment was a Tiramisu Cake, I was less than thrilled. I even considered skipping it. But since I had already skipped the previous two weeks due to unavoidable work commitments, I decided to suck it up and make the cake. After all, I didn't have to actually eat it. I figured that I could find at least one of my neighbors who would take it. And, if not, I could always give it to my sister-in-law. She never met a cake she didn't like!

So, I whipped up some Tiramisu Cake. And then, I took some pictures. I carved out a slice of the cake for a photo and it looked pretty good. Not soggy or squishy at all! Then, I figured that I should at least taste it. I mean, what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't give you the unvarnished truth about the cake, despite my personal bias. The more I looked at that cake, the more I was willing to make the sacrifice. I grabbed a fork and took a bite.....and another.....and another..... Well, I think you get the picture. Imagine my surprise (and delight) when I discovered that Dorie's Tiramisu Cake was good! Really, really good! Fabulous, actually! (Sorry Sis, you're not getting any of this one!)

tiramisu-cake-3

The cake part of this creation is made with a basic yellow cake recipe. Once cooled, it is brushed with a syrup made from espresso and coffee liqueur. Between the layers of cake, lies a velvety combination of mascarpone cheese and whipped cream studded with little chunks of chocolate. Then, the whole cake is frosted with an espresso-laced version of the filling.

The benefit of using cake instead of ladyfingers is that the cake doesn't disintegrate when soaked with the syrup. Instead, it drinks in the coffee flavor and you're left with a very moist and tasty cake that holds its shape. Add that wickedly rich mascarpone cream and you've got a match made in heaven!

Thanks to Megan from My Baking Adventures who chose our recipe for this week. If you'd like to try this cake for yourself, you can find the recipe there. As always, check out the Tuesdays with Dorie Blogroll to see how the rest of the group fared with this one.

Comments

Jennifer said…
I'm the same way about soggy food. I eat my cereal with little milk super fast; I drop oyster crackers into my soup one at a time; nevertheless, I really liked this cake. A little too much, as I had two pieces for breakfast!
Rachelle S said…
It looks great!! I'll take a piece!
What a gorgeous cake! So pretty and perfect! A real treat!

Cheers,

Rosa
Erin said…
Oh man! I totally hear you about Tiramisu--I have the same problem with it! Soggy food=gross, if you ask me. So...now maybe I'll have to try Dorie's cake, since I do like the *flavors* of Tiramisu, just not the construction...
please can i have some !
Cristine said…
Isn't it wonderful when you are surprised by a recipe? Your cake looks lovely!
vibi said…
LOL LOL Ahhhhhh... I thought so! For this really doesn't look like plant food!! LOL ...and I'm so glad this was a change of mind for you! It would be a shame to miss out on anything coffee flavoured, no? ...spiked with booze on top of it! LOL
Once again, you're showing us you KNOW how to make absolutely perfect cakes, Susan! Bravissimo!
I am lovin' seeing all these t-cake pop up over the web today! Yours looks so tasty :)
Maris said…
This looks fabulous. Maybe even a good dessert for Mother's Day!
Andrea Meyers said…
I look at your cake and just fall in love. And every time you post for TWD it makes me want to join in the fun. Then I look at my hips... ;-)
LyB said…
See, I thought there wasn't enough syrup for the size of the cake, imagine that! Everything looks gorgeous, as always. :)
Debbie said…
The cake looks great. I haven't had tiramisu in a while and think I need to have some again soon!
~Kimberly said…
That looks fantastic!
Katrina said…
Awesome, perfect looking slice and cake! Glad you loved it. I changed the flavors quite a bit, but it was still good.
Unknown said…
This looks like it has the best of the tiramisu (flavor, cream filling) and ditches the sogginess. How fabulous!
Elle said…
Oh, afternoon hunger pangs...and this looks beyond fabulous! I may have to break down and but the book just for this recipe!
chocolatechic said…
I heart your pink cake plate.
Teanna said…
OMG!!! THE PHOTOS! The decoration! It is perfect!!! I LOVE it!
Digigirl said…
Wow, that picture really makes me want to eat it NOW! Gorgeous! Tiramisu is one of those hit and miss recipes for me - sometimes it's awesome and sometimes it's... not. This definitely looks like the former. Looks delish!
Snooky doodle said…
oh I love this cake and it looks delicious. Fantastic photos !
noble pig said…
So that's why all the tirimisu was always in the plants...HA!

I am actually a lover of the su but this recipe sounds even better than all the ones before it. I love your little chocolate shavings.
Erin said…
What a beautiful cake!
Anonymous said…
Your cake looks fabulous. I'm glad you ended up loving it. I really loved it. yUM!
Ramya Kiran said…
They look just perfect! Great work!
Would love this with my coffee. It's a beauty.
Anonymous said…
I liked the texture of this cake too. It's great that you didn't pass up this recipe since you liked it so much!
Patsyk said…
It turned out beautifully, and I can imagine how delicious it must have been.
This looks fabulous and I'm sure it was delicious!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
You cake looks perfect! I love the frosting/filling to cake ratio. :)
~ingrid
Sara said…
This cake looks absolutely perfect. Nicely done :)
Cakelaw said…
Beautiful cake Susan - so neat and even.
Unknown said…
Looks great! If you don't like soggy then you would NOT have liked the tiramisu I made. I followed instructions on my first layer and the ladyfingers were drenched. The second layer was better because I didn't dip them for long at all. Guess you wouldn't go for soggy raisin bran, either then, huh? :-) This looks wonderful!
Steph said…
I'm exactly the same with soggy. That's why I made half the cake syrupless, but suprisingly this time I actually wished that I doubled the syrup. The cake looks really good. I like your frosting to cake ratio, few frostings can beat mascarpone and whipping cream!
Unknown said…
I've never had a tiramisu I liked until this week either. Dorie's recipe was a hit with me :) Your photos and your cake are brilliant!
Mermaid Sews said…
What amazing photos. Your cake looks soo good. Nicely done.
pam said…
I'm kind of iffy about soggy food to. Though, it depends on what is making it soggy. This looks amazing. I'm going to have to try all the TWD recipes once school is out!
grace said…
well, i'm glad you found a tiramisu you could enjoy. i have to tell you that the fact that your filling is thicker than your frosting excites me no end. that's my favorite part of any layer cake. :)
Half Baked said…
LOL I'm glad you found a tiramisu that you like. It looks amazing. I really considered licking the screen:-P
I was so happy in those days when tiramisu was everywhere. I made this chocolate version... Well, it wouldn't be up your alley. I'm totally into things that are soaked in booze, so sogginess doesn't bug me.

This does look like a great variation on the ladyfinger ice box cake known as tiramisu. After all, whether you like booze-soaked cookies or not, mascarpone desserts are always tasty. This is sort of like cannoli cake where you have cake layers interspersed with ricotta filling.
looks just delicious! i don't blame you for not giving it to your sis-in-law! :)
Leslie said…
I'm so glad you liked it! It's such a pleasure to find you like something that you didn't expect to!
Jeff said…
Coffee, cookies, and booze how could it be improved? Simple make it into a cake. Awesome job and looks amazing!
J.L. Danger said…
Phew, I am with Jeff. How could it get any better!
So beautiful! I skipped this week so I'd love a slice of yours! :)
Jodie said…
Gorgeous as always!
I'm totally with you on the tiramisu thing - never liked it for the same reasons - and I'm Italian! But, hey - it's too sloppy. This cake, however. . .looks like the answer!
Anonymous said…
Mmmm, tiramisu is just delish. A soggy one is no good, but yours looks really light and fluffy.
Tangled Noodle said…
I love tiramisu, especially for its sogginess (that lovely coffee flavor, all soaked in). But this cake is simply fantastic! Mmmmm. . .
This solves my icing problem. My husband and son are not a big fans of North American icing, but like it when I make layered cakes. I have been fiddling with icing recipes for ages trying find one that they would like. They'll love this! Can't wait to try it.
Tammy said…
I'm glad you found a version of Tiramisu you like. Your cake looks beautiful! I love your pink cake plate.
Megan said…
I'm glad this one didn't disappoint you - and it wasn't "squishy"!
Rosa said…
WOOOOOW. I AM MAKING THIS!
Engineer Baker said…
This could be dangerous - a tiramisu you like! Looks amazing!
TeaLady said…
If it tasted as good as it looks sitting prettily on that lovely pink plate, it had to be delicious.....
Anonymous said…
Mercy....Swoon!
AmyRuth said…
Dear Mrs. SGCC, Your "T" cake photos are beautiful. I am so glad you were surprised. Don't you love it when Dorie does that? One of the lessons I have learned in this group. Her translations or versions of the "truth." I love mascarpone.
AmyRuth
Stacey said…
Holy moly... that looks so delicious! You have much talent in cake baking! Mine would be falling over! :)
Sujan Patricia said…
Looks awesome and yummy! Tiramisu has always been one of my favorite desserts. I also made tiramisu cake but in a different design.

Popular Posts