Rose-Kissed Chocolate Truffles for Your Valentine

..
O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune!
..
As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry—
..
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
..
And fare thee weel, my only Luve!
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile.
..
--Robert Burns
..
Roses are one of the most popular symbols of love and affection between two people, especially on Valentine's Day. Ever wonder why? There is an interesting legend in Roman mythology of how this came to be. It is said that in Roman times, there was an exceptionally beautiful young woman named Rodanthe. Her beauty attracted many ardent suitors who pursued her relentlessly. Exhausted by their pursuit, Rodanthe was forced to take refuge in the temple of the goddess Diana. In their desperate attempts to win Rodanthe's favor, these suitors broke down the doors of the temple. This enraged Diana. In her fury, she turned Rodanthe into a flower and her suitors into thorns. Bummer!
..
According to another popular legend, Cupid was once carrying a vase of sweet nectar to the Gods on Mount Olympus, and some of the nectar spilled on the ground. From the spot where the nectar fell grew the first rose. In Roman mythology, Cupid is known as the god of erotic love and sex.
..
..
Another interesting tidbit to note is, that if you rearrange the letters of the word rose, you get Eros. Eros is the Greek counterpart of Cupid, again, the god of erotic love and sex. With all that symbolism for erotic love and sex going on, it's no wonder that roses are one of the most popular gifts between lovers on Valentine's Day!
..
The color of the roses one chooses to give to his or her beloved is also important. While the red rose is considered to be the universal symbol of love and passion, different colored blooms have different meanings. Pink roses are given to a friend or sweetheart. White roses signify true love and purity of the mind. Yellow roses are for friendship and black roses mean farewell or death. So be very careful when selecting what color roses to give your Valentine. If you pick the wrong one, you could get yourself in a whole heap of trouble!
..
..
Since Valentine's Day is just a few days away, I wanted to create a romantic little treat for you to share with the one (or ones) you love. (Who am I to judge!) In my mind, there is nothing so luxurious, so sensual, so gloriously and sinfully decadent as a silky, smooth, and rich dark chocolate truffle. Except, that is, a silky, smooth and rich dark chocolate truffle imbued with the essense of roses.
..
The foundation for this recipe comes from Sherry Yard's, The Secrets of Baking. I used her basic recipe for Chocolate Truffles and tweaked it by adding rose flower water. The result was a marvelous little chocolate truffle with just the subtlest kiss of roses. Is that not genius? I mean, what could be more perfect for Valentine's Day than chocolate and roses all rolled into one neat little package?
..
..
I would like to take an opportunity to thank all of you who voted for me in Culinate's Death by Chocolate contest. Even though I didn't win, I am really glad that I participated. I'd like to congratulate everyone who submitted such creative and inspired desserts, especially the winning blogger, Cathy, from Not Eating Out in New York, who is probably packing her bags for Napa as I write this.
..

Rose-Kissed Chocolate Truffles
Adapted from The Secrets of Baking, by Sherry Yard
..
Ingredients:
..
8 oz good quality bitterweet chocolate, chopped and divided
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 tbsp light corn syrup
2 tbsp rose flower water
..
For the coating:
..
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped into small pieces
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
..
Method:
..
Place the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set aside.
..
Combine cream and corn syrup in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Heat until it comes to a full boil. Remove from heat and immediately pour over hot chocolate and butter. Let is sit for 1 minute. With a rubber spatula, gently stir in small circular motions until chocolate mixture is fully melted, aboput 2 minutes. Add the rose flower water and stir to combine.
..
Allow the ganache to cool at room temperature until firm, at least 4 hours. You could also put it in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. (This worked for me.)
..
Once firm, form the ganache into small 1-inch balls. The easiest way to do this is to use a melon baller or small ice cream scoop. You may have to roll them a bit with your hands. It will be very messy. If the balls get too soft, put them back in the fridge for a while, until they firm up again.
..
To coat the truffles:
..
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
..
Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Wait a few seconds and stir. If it isn't completely melted, microwave it again for 10 seconds. Repeat until the chocolate is all melted. Yard's recipe says to melt the chocolate in a bouble boiler, but I have always had good results by using the microwave. Just be careful not to overdo it. Put the cocoa powder into a small bowl.
..
Drop each ganache ball into the melted chocolate, one at a time, and roll until fully coated. I used a toothpick for this. Tap off the excess and toss into the cocoa powder to coat. Transfer each truffle to the baking sheet to harden. I put my ganache balls in the freezer for about 30 minutes before I coated them to discourage melting. This seemed to help.
..
Makes about 2 dozen 1-inch truffles.
..
Enjoy!
..
Want more? Here are some other great truffle recipes:
..
For more great ideas for Valentine treats, check out the Frantic Home Cook's list of 50 Incredible Chocolate Desserts for Your Valentine.

Comments

Amanda said…
Gorgeous photos. Absolutely mouth-watering.
Anonymous said…
i never new chocolate could look that sexi lol
CookiePie said…
Hi there! I came across your blog while surfing around one day -- it's fantastic and so inspiring. Best of luck to you -- I'll definitely be back!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Mrs. W- Thanks! I'm glad you like them, but I am still trying to scrape the chocolate out from under my fingernails! What a messy project!

Anonymous- Rachel, Is that you? Get off the computer and do your homework! ;)

Cookiepie- Thank you so much! I'm really glad you're enjoying my blog. Please come back anytime! :)
Emily said…
I think you are a genius! Rose flower water and chocolate truffles? I bet Sherry Yard is wishing she thought of that. This is perfect for Valentine's Day.
I really enjoyed your blog-will be back for sure.
Marija said…
Wow, your truffles are beautiful!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Emiline- Wow! Thank you! My daughter will be glad to hear that. She thinks I'm an idiot! I'm so glad you like the truffles-and my blog. Come back anytime.

Marja- Thank you. Glad you like them! :)
Chibog in Chief said…
this is sooo romantic!! would love to have some for my valentine :-) happy valentine!!
These truffles are so beautiful and delicate!
Brilynn said…
Those are gorgeous! And I'm sure the little bit of rose water was perfect in them.
Jen Yu said…
What a lovely and delightful take on truffles. I love the idea of the rose flower water! Beautiful beautiful beautiful :) xxoo
Susan @ SGCC said…
dhanggit- Thanks! Make some. They're messy, but not difficult.

Patricia- Thank you! I really had fun playing around with them.

Brilynn- Thank you. I was my first truffle making experience. Believe me, there were quite a few rejects! I'm so glad you like them. :)

Jen- Thanks! I'm really into rose and orange water these days. They're very exotic, but subtle. I like to put orange flower water in brioche.
test it comm said…
The rose water in the truffles sounds nice. Great photos!
Those are beautiful! Seeing V-Day treats like these makes me want to take the week off and bake up a storm!
Cakelaw said…
Susan, these are picture perfect - too lovely to eat.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Kevin- Thanks! I've really been working hard to improve my photography skills.

Hearts and Crafts- Boy, that would be nice. A whole week of guilt-free baking (and eating)! I'm glad you like them.

Cakelaw- Thank you so much! I certainly did my fair share of tasting while I was making them.
Mansi said…
These look soo inviting, and I loved reading your story about cupid! I think I'm all set to make some truffles myself now:)

Popular Posts