Going for the "Go To" Meals - Week #2 Linguine with White Clam Sauce

Well, it's time for the second installment of Going for the "Go To" Meals. I received some nice feedback on last week's post. Thanks to everyone who commented. It appears that even the most accomplished cooks can appreciate a fast and easy recipe, as long as it tastes good. This week, my featured "Go To" meal is Linguine with White Clam Sauce. This is a particularly popular dish at my house, and is often requested. The recipe is very simple and requires only a few ingredients which can be found at any grocery store. You can make it fancy and use fresh steamed clams, which I sometimes do, or you can keep it simple and use canned. It will be great either way.

The only "specialty" ingredient that I like to use for this dish is Cento brand clam juice. I find it has a much richer clam taste and really intensifies the flavor of my sauce. Unfortunately, I can only find this product at my local Italian specialty store. I usually stock up whenever I go there. Depending upon where you live, you may be able to find it at a regular supermarket. My local Publix carries some Cento products, but not the clam juice. I have, however, made this dish with other brands of clam juice and it is always delicious.

So, without further ado, here is the recipe:
Linguine with White Clam Sauce

1 lb. dried linguine
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 c. white wine
2 bottles clam juice
4 cans chopped canned clams, drained, broth reserved
1/2 c. flat leaf parsley, chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tbsp cold butter

Bring a large pot filled with salted water to boil for the pasta. When water is boiling, cook pasta according to package directions and drain.

Heat a large skillet or saute pan on medium heat. Add olive oil.

Add garlic and saute until lightly golden, taking care not to burn it. If it does start to burn, remove it for a few seconds and lower the heat a bit. Then resume.

Add wine, bottled clam juice and 1 cup of the reserved broth. Raise heat to medium-high.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced by approximately 1/3. The alcohol will cook off and the flavors will intensify. This should take about 8-10 minutes. Add salt and red pepper flakes, if desired.

About a minute before the pasta is finished cooking, add the chopped clams to the sauce and stir. If you add the clams too soon, they can become rubbery. Then, add the butter on top and cover.

Add the drained linguine to the sauce in the pan and toss.

Sprinkle the parsley on top and serve.

Enjoy!

Comments

Brilynn said…
I like to make something like this with mussels too! It's so simple, but so good.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Brilynn - Oh, yes. I can definitely see this dish with mussels.
Belinda said…
Oh, I LOVE linguini with clam sauce, but I don't have a good recipe to make it from scratch at home...this one sounds very nice! I'm adding the ingredients to my grocery list!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Belinda - Thanks. It is a nice recipe, plus it is pretty much foolproof. I hope you try it and enjoy it.

Popular Posts