HolyCrapTheseAreAmazing Cookies

...
Let me start right off by saying that no, that is not the official name of these cookies - but it should be. Their official name is Peanut Butter Corn Flake Balls. That's a decent enough name. It is accurately descriptive. However, it comes nowhere close to describing the flat out, mind-blowing awesomeness of these sticky, gooey, creamy, chewy little blobs of edible bliss! How did they end up being called HolyCrapTheseAreAmazing Cookies, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. It's because that is pretty much what everyone says the first time they bite into one of these decadent little guys.
...
...
The first time I ever ate one was when my daughter was in the second grade. Each year, from the time she was in kindergarten through the fifth grade, I had the dubious distinction of being the Room Mother for her class. A Room Mother is a mom who is in charge of taking care of all of the "extras" for the class that the teacher doesn't have the time or inclination to do, like collecting for the teacher's gifts, lining up chaperones for field trips and of course, organizing class parties.
...
Anyway, that particular year, her class had a Halloween party, and one of the moms brought these cookies. Now, being a Room Mother often requires you to make certain sacrifices, one of which is taste-testing all of the snacks, just to make sure that they are okay for the kids to eat. Really! It says so in the Official Room Mothers' Code of Conduct. Okay, I made that up, but if there was an Official Room Mothers' Code of Conduct, I'll bet the whole "taste-testing" thing would be in there.
...
So, I ate a cookie. As my eyes were rolling back into my head, I groaned out loud and spontaneously exclaimed, "Holy Crap! These are amazing cookies!" From then on, they have elicited the same response from everyone I've served them to.
...
...
The recipe for these cookies so simple that a 4 year-old could make them. Since I don't happen to have a 4 year-old at my house, I made them myself. (Although, I have been told that I act like a 4 year-old sometimes. I wonder if that counts?) There are only four ingredients - five, if you decorate them with chocolate drizzles, like I did. From start to finish, they take about fifteen minutes to make.
...
Make them. If you do, your family and friends will be worshipping at your feet. Trust me!
...
...
Holycraptheseareamazing Cookies
Print Version
...
Ingredients:
(Makes about 3 dozen cookies)
...
1 cup sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 jar (18 oz ounce) peanut butter, crunchy or smooth (I like creamy.)
6 cups corn flakes
3 oz good quality chocolate of your choice (I used Scharffen Berger Semisweet 62%.)
...
Preparation:
...
Combine sugar and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and stir until the mixture comes to a full boil.
...
Remove from heat and stir in the whole jar of peanut butter. Mix well.
...
Add corn flakes to a large bowl. Pour peanut butter mixture over corn flakes and mix well, taking care to coat all of the corn flakes.
...
With a tablespoon or cookie scoop, scoop out and form into 1-2 inch balls, depending on your preference, and place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
...
Put the chocolate in a small bowl and melt in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
...
Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies.
...
When cooled, eat these cookies with reckless abandon. Be careful, though. We wouldn't want anyone to get hurt!
...
Enjoy!

Comments

JEP said…
I'm convinced---I NEED to make these ASAP! Delightful post, too:)
test it comm said…
Those look really good! Bookmarked!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Jep & Kevin- Thank you both. I'm glad you like the cookies. They really are THAT good! ;)
Anonymous said…
Holycrapthoselookamazing! And easy too...I'm adding your site to my reader, so I can save the recipe!
Hillary said…
Did you really shout out "Holy crap!" in front of the kids? Haha I probably would have done the same thing - these look TOO good.
You would think I'd be cookied-out by now. But holy crap! Just when I thought I was out these pulled me back in. ;)
Susan @ SGCC said…
Hillary- Unfortunately, I did. My daughter attended a Catholic school at the time. She doesn't go there anymore! ;)

Susan- You crack me up! There's always room for more cookies!
Ooooooo. I have made these cornflake cookies before, but I love the addition of the drizzled chocolate. I think everything looks and tastes better with some drizzled chocolate!
Helene said…
HolyCrapWhyAmIReadingThisPastMidnight?
They remind me of a cookie my mom taught me when I was a kid,minus the peanut butter...and I would gobble up a truck load by the minute! Love this version,great job!
Those do sound amazing! Anything with peanut butter in it and i"m there. I'm writing this recipe down. Thanks for sharing it.
Anonymous said…
Ooh, I bet you could add chocolate chips to these when stirring into the corn flakes--the mini ones would be perfect! I'm making these for my kids for sure.
Kavi said…
These look really awesome. I'd like to try them but is there a peanut free version. What would be a good replacement?
Great post!
Susan @ SGCC said…
make and takes- Thanks! I think everything tastes better with chocolate too. Well...maybe not Brussels sprouts. ;)

Tartelette- Thank you. I'm glad you like the cookies. They're certainly not as pretty as your eclairs, but they taste great.

Lynn- You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Teak- Chocolate chips would be great. Go for it!

Kavi- Can you use other nut butters? If so, I think that almond or cashew butter would be work just as well. If not, go for broke and use melted chocolate (dark or white)instead.

There are also some PB substitutes you could try, like SunButter from SunGold Foods or Soy NutButter from I.M. Healthy foods. I'll bet you can find others at a health food store. Let me know if you find something.
Anonymous said…
those look incredible. they look like the kind of cookies i would be scared to make because i just might eat the whole batch! :-)
Cate said…
LOL, with a description like that, how can I not print out the recipe and make it?
Susan @ SGCC said…
Katy- Thanks! That is defintely a risk of having these in the house. I ate waaay too many myself!

Cate- Go for it! But be forewarned. They are addictive!
Mallow said…
I imagine it would be easy to hurt yourself with those cookies (ie - eat them all without stopping.)
Deborah said…
These look so good!! I even have some cornflakes at home left over from another recipe!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Mallow- lol! I have a hard time walking past them without grabbing one.

Deborah- You're halfway there! ;)
Holy Crap is right! I'm gluten free so I'm going to have to run out and get some gluten free cornflakes and whip these up. Great post! I'm so glad I stumbled onto you!
Anonymous said…
Holy crap! (I can see why the name had to be changed.)

These look INCREDIBLE!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Carol- I'm so glad you like the cookies. I had no idea that they made gluten-free corn flakes. Where do you get them? My mom is having gluten issues and I'll bet she would like to know.

Culinography- Thanks! I'm glad you like them. By the way, I love your name! ;)
Megan said…
I made them and gave them away for birthday presents. But not before my husband gobbled up 4 of them. Both recipents said they were soo addictive. There a winner here!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Megan- I'm glad you liked them. You have a lot more willpower than I do. I didn't give any away! :(
Anonymous said…
wow these look amazing! quick question though... is there a more healthy alternative to corn syrup that would work? i don't mean artificial sweeteners... i was thinking along the lines of natural/organic, like agave nectar/syrup perhaps? thanks!
Made these, loved these, posted about these on my blog with trackback to you. You totally rock with these. Thanks a big bunch!
Heather Stokes said…
HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA
I just stumbled across your blog to find this AMAZING recipe and I cannot wait to try it. Thanks for sharing - I am a new fan of your blog!
Anonymous said…
I've been wanting to try these for a while but I am studying abroad in France and can't find any corn syrup. Is there a substitute? Honey or regular syrup maybe?
Susan @ SGCC said…
Anonymous- I've never made these cookies without corn syrup before, but I think that honey would work fine. You would definitely get a different flavor as honey has a distinctive taste. You could also try golden syrup, which might be easier to find where you are. It's not as strong as most honeys.

Good luck!

Popular Posts