Tuesdays with Dorie: Peanut Butter Torte

...
Peanut butter. Chocolate. Cream cheese. Heavy cream. All of these are ingredients which, in and of themselves, are enough to jump start ones taste buds into high gear. When combined all together in one dessert, the result can be downright dangerous! This week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is just that - deliciously and decadently dangerous. I'm just still undecided as to whether or not that is a good thing.
..
Elizabeth of Ugg Smell Food, chose Dorie's Peanut Butter Torte for our latest installment of TWD. In addition to the above ingredients this coma-inducing confection also boasts an Oreo cookie crust and lots of chopped peanuts. While there are quite a lot of steps involved in creating this torte, there is nothing really difficult about it. The only baking required is a ten minute stint in the oven for the crust.
..
After being a bit underwhelmed by last week's recipe, I was really excited to whip up this dessert. I'm a big fan of all of these ingredients and I could only imagine how wonderful they would be all rolled up into one fabulous torte. And fabulous it was!
...
...
I didn't deviate from the recipe at all, except that I used honey roasted peanuts instead of the salted ones. That was because I had one and not the other. If I make it again, I think that I would top the torte with a thick fudge sauce instead of the chocolate ganache. The ganache got pretty hard and it cracked when I cut into it. Other than that, I think the recipe is terrific as it stands.
..
The torte was creamy and crunchy and absolutely delicious. The texture of the filling was kind of like a whipped peanut butter mousse. It was also incredibly rich. So rich that, after just a few bites, no one could eat any more, including the five year-olds that I served it to. Now, THAT'S rich!
..
Dorie's Peanut Butter Torte is definitely a dessert to make when your goal is to impress. I certainly would. It's a showstopper! But, I do think that like everything else, too much of a good thing can be.....well.....too much.
..
..
Peanut Butter Torte
..
1 ¼ c. finely chopped salted peanuts (for the filling, crunch and topping)
2 teaspoons sugar
½ teaspoon instant espresso powder (or finely ground instant coffee)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
½ c. mini chocolate chips (or finely chopped semi sweet chocolate)
24 Oreo cookies, finely crumbed or ground in a food processor or blender
½ stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Small pinch of salt
2 ½ c. heavy cream
1 ¼ c confectioners’ sugar, sifted
12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ c salted peanut butter – crunchy or smooth (not natural; I use Skippy)
2 tablespoons whole milk
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate finely chopped
..
Getting ready: center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch Springform pan and place it on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
..
Toss ½ cup of the chopped peanuts, the sugar, espresso powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and chocolate chops together in a small bowl. Set aside.
..
Put the Oreo crumbs, melted butter and salt in another small bowl and stir with a fork just until crumbs are moistened. Press the crumbs evenly over the bottom and up the sides of the spring form pan (they should go up about 2 inches on the sides). Freeze the crust for 10 minutes.
..
Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a rack and let it cool completely before filling.
..
Working with a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, whip 2 cups of the cream until it holds medium peaks. Beat in ¼ cup of the confectioners’ sugar and whip until the cream holds medium-firm peaks. Scrape the cream into a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
..
Wipe out (no need to wash) the bowl, fit the stand mixer with the paddle attachment if you have one, or continue with the hand mixer, and beat the cream cheese with the remaining 1 cup confectioners’ sugar on medium speed until the cream cheese is satiny smooth. Beat in the peanut butter, ¼ cup of the chopped peanuts and the milk.
..
Using a large rubber spatula, gently stir in about one quarter of the whipped cream, just to lighten the mousse. Still working with the spatula, stir in the crunchy peanut mixture, then gingerly fold in the remaining whipped cream.
..
Scrape the mouse into the crust, mounding and smoothing the top. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight; cover with plastic wrap as soon as the mousse firms.
..
To Finish The Torte: put the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Leave the bowl over the water just until the chocolate softens and starts to melt, about 3 minutes; remove the bowl from the saucepan.
..
Bring the remaining ½ cup cream to a full boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate and , working with a a rubber spatula, very gently stir together until the ganache is completely blended and glossy.
..
Pour the ganache over the torte, smoothing it with a metal icing spatula. Scatter the remaining ½ cup peanuts over the top and chill to set the topping, about 20 minutes.
..
When the ganache is firm, remove the sides of the Springform pan; it’s easiest to warm the pan with a hairdryer, and then remove the sides, but you can also wrap a kitchen towel damped with hot water around the pan and leave it there for 10 seconds.
..
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
..
Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks sinfully great. I love how airy the peanut butter part looks. I wonder why the ganache hardened up on you so much. Normally when I have made it, it stays pretty pliable even when refrigerated.
Mumsy said…
Perfection! Great job!
Erin said it... sinful! I couldn't think of a better adjective. I could have a little sliver of that with my coffee right now!
Gretchen Noelle said…
Very lovely. I think the "look" of yours is one of my favorite. Deep dish, but nice layers. Great job!
Marie Rayner said…
Wonderful job! Well done!
Anonymous said…
Holy moly, calorie counting, oh my ever livin' Lord...this looks like absolute perfection. I mean seriously! WOWSER!
Di said…
It looks like your torte turned out great! I agree that a little definitely goes a long way with this one. I haven't had a chance to have my 5-year-old try it yet; it'll be interesting to see what she thinks.
Anonymous said…
Yours looks brilliant - a LOT better than mine! Hx
Anonymous said…
That top photo looks INSANELY good. Wow.
Christine said…
Yum topping it with a chocolate fudge would be deelish! Your torte looks amazing!
Ginny said…
Wow! yep! Wow! I don't know how you can make so many Dorie recipes..I would have to go from kitchen to gym and back again! Instead, I'll live through you!
Unknown said…
Beautiful! I just LOOKS like it would be rich. Hope you had lots of people around to help eat it.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Erin- Thank you! I don't know why the ganache hardened. Maybe I didn't add enough cream to it. Or maybe I just put on too thick a layer. It is really goo though!

Cafe Johnsonia- Thanks!

Aran- Thanks! A little goes a very long way! :)

Gretchen- Thank you! I think yours looks great with the caramel!

Marie- Thanks! Glad you like it. :)

Noble Pig- Lol! That's about what I said when I first tasted it! :D

Di- Thank you! Everyone here really liked it, but it was really rich.

Helen- Thanks! I'll be over to take a look at yours. I'm sure it looks great! :)

Rebecca- Thanks! It pretty much is insanely good!

Christine- I'm glad you like it! I think I' really like the fudge sauce.

Ginny- Lol! I know what you mean. I've been looking for my fat pants- just in case! ;)
Cara said…
Your presentation is beautiful....I love the picture with all the peanuts around the bottom of the torte! Also, I think using honey roasted peanuts would taste delicious. Good work!
Peter M said…
Holy kaka, this is the 2nd torte from this Dorie's business and I'm ready to give up on savory food!
Holy Friggin Crap!!! You can't be serious???? My husband would probably give up his girlfriend if I made him this hahahahahahah.
Heather B said…
oh my...my mouth is watering that looks so good! Great job! It looks delicious!
Linda said…
Picture Perfect!!!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Cara- Thank you so much! I'm glad you like it. I was pleased with the honey roasted peanuts. I'm glad I used them.

Peter- Lol! Hold on a minute. Man cannot live by tortes alone!

Obsessive- Bwahahaha! Anything to help a fellow wife in need!

Heather- Thanks! I'm glad you like it.

Linda- Thank you very much!
I envy those that got to taste this!
Heather said…
This looks like salty, sweet, craveable perfection! I haven't had peanut butter in a dessert for the longest time.

I love your hairdryer trick - I'll definitely remember that one!
Gigi said…
OMG, that torte looks so sinful. I wish I could just reach in and take a bite!
Nina Timm said…
Can I have this for breakfast this morning. It is 9.07 and I am craving this so badly....
Anonymous said…
Oh. My. Goodness.
test it comm said…
That looks so decadent and good!!
grace said…
frankly, my dear, your torte is so perfect that a well-oiled machine couldn't produce one as lovely. i'm sure i'd eat a slab of it (i can rarely stop at a couple of bites...), and it would be well-worth the resulting sugar coma. :)
Nic said…
Looks brilliant! One of the nicest ones I've seen, well done!
Anonymous said…
Wow, this looks absolutely gorgeous! And I'm kind of jealous of your cutting skills too... :)
CookiePie said…
OOOOOOH SGCC - You are a peanut butter temptress! Beautiful presentation and gorgeous photos! I would like to take the challenge of trying to eat more than just a few bites!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Thanks, Marie. One taste will stay with you a long time! ;)

Heather- Thank you! That's a pretty accurate description. ;)

Gigi- Grab a fork! There's plenty left.

Nina- Sure! It's peanut butter. Peanut butter is GOOD for you, right? ;)

Joanne- Glad. You. Like. It. :)

Kevin- Thanks!

Grace- You are too funny! Thanks! I'm glad you like it. :)

Nicisme- Thank you! That's really sweet of you to say.

Karen- Thanks! Don't be. I was lucky this time! ;)

CookiePie- Lol! Temptress, huh? I've waited all my life to hear those words! I'm so glad you like the torte. ;)
Susan, this is decadence in a dessert form. I love every bit of it and will be trying it in the future - but only when I have people over, so I can spread the calories around! :)

Your torte looks absolutely gorgeous.
I nearly had a heart attack when I opened this page and saw that cake. It looks so amazing. Chocolate nad PB are two of the best things on earth.
Tuesdays are still looking good with Dorie Susan:D By the way I have passed an award on to you if you would care to come on down and get it when you have some free time...don't forget to bring a piece of cake:D
Susan @ SGCC said…
Patricia- I'm glad you like it! Good idea to wait for company. If you tried to handle this alone, you could hurt yourself! ;)

Short(dis)Order Cook- Uh oh! I'd better go and look for those cardio paddles!

Val- Ooooh! How exciting! Thank you! My cake and I are coming over. :D
Sheltie Girl said…
You did a fabulous job on your torte. It looks simply scrumptious.

You were asking Simply GF about where to purchase GF baking powder. You can buy it from Bob's Red Mill and also Hain's is GF and you can find it at Whole Foods.

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go
Brilynn said…
Gorgeous torte, just like the picture in the book!
Anonymous said…
That is one fine lookin' dessert!
Unknown said…
look at that! yummmmmmmmmmmmmm i want it, i neeeed it!
Anonymous said…
I think I may be hyperventilating! Please pass me the brown paper bag, STAT! This looks absolutely amazing, Susan. I could just cry. I want a piece. *sniff*
Cakelaw said…
Phwoar! This looks amazing! I agree with your fudge suggestion - the ganache looks a little hard on top of the soft middle, which I imagine would result in it being a nightmare to cut neatly.
Cate said…
Gorgeous cake!
Melissa said…
Looks wonderful!
Holy moly. This looks unbelievable, I have a feeling you'd win the PBE for cake too if we ever do one =). This torte looks huge and I'm glad for that, because otherwise I'd be tempted to make this which means I'd probably eat it all in 2-3 sittings. Wow.
That simply looks amazing. I want this bad. I was a bit stumped what I would do for dessert this weekend, but I'm feeling pretty sold on this one. Just wow!
Rachel J said…
Oh my word...your torte looks good enough to bend over backwards for. A must make--thanks!

Popular Posts