Good Things Come in Large Packages Too!

FJgorgonzola-pear1SGCC

One of the nicest perks of being a food blogger is getting free stuff to try from various companies. Several weeks ago, I received an email from a very nice lady named Katie, asking me if I would be interested in testing some new Pillsbury products. Woohoo! Who doesn't love this little guy?

doughboy

Of course, I said that I'd be delighted! Within a week, a rather large box arrived on my doorstep. I gleefully opened it up to find some of these nesting inside:

PB_RecipeCreations_482x193

They're the same thing as crescent rolls, except that they come in one solid sheet with no perforations. They are perfect for creating new recipes. I was psyched! We love crescent rolls at Chez SGCC, and I was going to enjoy experimenting with these. I had two tubes of the Crescent Recipe Creations, so I decided to use one for a savory dish and the other for a sweet one.

icon-foodie-joust-90 Since it was also time for the October installment of Royal Foodie Joust created by Jenn, The Leftover Queen, founder of The Foodie Blogroll. I tried to kill two birds with one stone and combined the two projects. This month's selected ingredients for the joust are fennel, dairy and parsley. After some playing around, I came up with a Creamy Gorgonzola, Fennel & Pear Tart. Using my crescent dough as the tart shell made this recipe a snap to put together!

First, I unrolled the dough into a rectangular tart pan, gently pressing it up the sides of the pan, and trimming any overhang around the edges. Then, I made my fillings, which consisted of three layers: a gorgonzola and mascarpone cream, sauteed fresh fennel, herbs and onions, and sliced fresh pears. Finally, I baked the tart until it was all browned and bubbly.

FJgorgonzola-pear3SGCC

The result was a smooth, rich and creamy center, enveloped by a crisp and flaky pastry. The subtle sweetness of the pears were the perfect foil for the tangy bite of the gorgonzola. The sauteed fennel added crunch and a hint of anise flavor. It was a wonderful combination of tastes and textures.

Pillsbury's Crescent Recipe Creations are in stores now and can be found in the refrigerator section of most supermarkets. You can use them for lots of different things. The Pillsbury web site has tons of recipes as well. If you see them, consider giving them a try.

Oh, and by the way, I would really, really, really appreciate your vote for my recipe in this month's Royal Foodie Joust. All you have to do is go here and VOTE FOR ME!!!

FJgorgonzola-pear2SGCC

Creamy Gorgonzola, Fennel & Pear Tart (Printable Recipe)

Ingredients:

8 ounces mascarpone cheese
8 ounces Gorgonzola dolce at room temperature
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 fennel bulbs, white part only, thinly sliced (fronds reserved)
1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
1 tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 fresh pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (any kind of pears will do.)
1 tube Pillsbury Crescent Dough
2 tbsp fennel fronds, chopped for garnish

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine mascarpone and Gorgonzola in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, onion, parsley and tarragon and saute until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Roll out crescent dough into a tart pan with a removable bottom, pressing together any perforations. Trim any edges that hang over the edges. I used a rectangular pan, but you can use any tart pan you like.

Spread the cheese mixture into the tart pan in an even layer.

Spread fennel mixture evenly over the cheese layer, and top with sliced pears.

Place tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

Cool for about 10 minutes and remove tart from the pan. Sprinkle fennel fronds on top.

Slice and serve.

Enjoy!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Got to love the freebies! A perk! I love this combination for your tart - perfect for fall! I can't wait to add it to our must cook list ..... thanks! I think it will make a nice dinner and even a nice appetizer with a glass of bubbly!
Mmmm gorgonzola anything, and I'm in :) Best of luck in the joust!
Maria said…
Free stuff is the best! I love the masterpiece you came up with! The tart is gorgeous!
mimi said…
yay for free stuff! and your tart looks awesomely delish!
Deborah said…
I love the new Recipe Creations! This tart looks amazing!
Anonymous said…
I always wanted to smoosh that Pillsbury dough boy!
That looks beautiful. Have I mentioned how much I love fennel? I'm sure I've only mentioned it a few hundred times.

=
Patsyk said…
Beautiful tart! I just bought the recipe creations crescents the other day! Can't wait to try them out, you've inspired me to get creative!
I might have to give them a try after seeing your gorgeous tart!
vibi said…
OH! How I would love to make that! ...unfortunatly, noone here but me, likes Gorgonzola... nor fennel. Pffff. Men and babies!
I'd end up having the whole tart to myself and we all know where that could take me! LOL
I'm glad to be able to vicariously enjoy it... through here!
(sigh) Maybe someday.
CookiePie said…
Looks delicious - like autumn in a pretty tart!
This sounds like such a great mix of sweet, salty, and savory. I really like it and have never tried anything like it...on the to-do list it goes!
Cakelaw said…
Oooh, a cheese and pear tart - this is right up my alley. Looks delicious!
j'adore ce mélange de saveurs :) tes photos mettent en appétit !
Debbie said…
All I can say is that tart looks absolutely wonderful.....it sounds soooo good!
Peter M said…
Yes indeed, this tart looks Joust-worthy....you're doing A-OK...now give us a slab!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Chez US- Thanks! So glad you like it. Let me know if you decide to make it.

Michelle, Maria, Mimi- Thank you!

Deborah- I love them too. I'm making cheese pastry next!

Maryann- Lol! Me too!

S(d)OC- So, do you like fennel? ;)

Patsy, Marie- Do try them. There are so many ways to use them!

Vibi- Bummer! Make a tiny one for yourself and do something else with the rest.

CookiePie- Glad you like it!

Mike- Thanks! If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Cakelaw- Thank you! I love pears and cheese together.

Isabelle- Merci beaucoup! Je suis si heureux que vous l'aimiez ma tarte.
Heather said…
yum! that looks good :) i love pear and gorgonzola together!
Anonymous said…
OMG that looks/sounds terrific. I love the idea of the roll out dough that is large. And the pear and fennel and cheese...wow what a combo this is. Great idea!
Anonymous said…
Freebies - what fun! Great entry for the joust!
I have several recipes that these would be perfect for! I hate trying to stick the perforated ones back together. I have to look for these. Great timing on Pillsbury part. Yeah!
this looks incredibly delicious. pear, gorgonzola and fennel oh my!
Thistlemoon said…
Looks awesome Susan! You are doing great in the polls! :) Isn't it fun to test products? I think you did this one a great service in preparing this gorgeous tart!
La Bella Cooks said…
Free products are always a perk and you turned these into a masterpiece. It is almost too pretty to cut into but that thought wouldn't last for long. This really looks delicious.
That is a wonderful looking tart, Susan! You really did Pillsbury's proud. ;)
Aggie said…
This looks so tasty! Good luck in the Joust!
test it comm said…
That looks good. I am always looking for new ways to enjoy fennel.
Anonymous said…
This is one recipe I have got to try. Love fennel and the combination with the pears and cheese sounds just great. And the new pillsbury product sounds like a great shortcut. Good job!
Lucky beotch......perhaps if I cleaned up my pie hole on my blog they would send me something free...........NOT hahahahah.
OMG! That sounds totally amazing. Gorgonzola and pear by itself is mouth-watering, but I would imagine that the fennel kicks it up a notch!
CECIL said…
This sounds soooo insanely delicious that I am salivating!! I love fennel, love gorgonzola..I love parsley and tarragon. And all of these in a same dish!! I am ready with my fork!
Good luck in the Joust Susan.This is a dish to remember:D
What perfect food combo's here. I am loving this...every single ingredient seems to go together. How did it taste? No...don't tell me.
Anonymous said…
This is the second time that I have seen fennel today. I must use it more often. Susan, your tart and the combination of ingredients is an inspiration.
Laura said…
Wow that looks good. I love gorgonzola and fruit.
Brittany said…
Congrats on winning! This is a beautiful tart. I love the ingredients you picked!
Rachelle S said…
Congrats on the joust!! Nice creation!
Mr Lady said…
Oh dear lord in heaven woman, will you marry me?
Anonymous said…
congrats on your win!! this is soooooo worthy of the big win. looks delish!

Popular Posts