Pacific Rim Burgers with Ginger Mayonaise and Kitchen Sink Asian Slaw

..
When my daughter was little, she used to beg her dad and I for a little brother or sister. Every night as I'd tuck her into bed, we'd say our prayers and one of hers would always be for a sibling to play with. I would feel so awful, because I knew that it would probably never happen. Struggling with seven years of infertility treatments had just about done me in. I didn't have the strength and fortitude, of body or mind, to go through all that again!
..
And so, the guilt set in. And with that guilt, came a lot of frantic wheel-spinning on my part to make our home life one great, big, perpetual fun fest. Basically, I became Mini-SGCC's number one playmate. We played Barbies. We played dress-up. We did art projects. We set up a teepee in the middle of the living room and "camped out". Sometimes, we just ran round the house, dancing and shrieking like banshees, because we could. It was great! I got to relive my childhood all over again, only this time, I made the rules. I got to do all of the things I was never allowed to do the first time around! Occasionally, Mr. SGCC would join in, but usually he'd just roll his eyes, grab the remote and hide out in the other room.
...
One of the fun things we would do, usually on a weekend, is have "Theme Night". We would pick a theme, decorate the kitchen and have a whole meal dedicated to it. Usually our themes would be based upon a particular movie that we were going to watch that night. On one particular night, we chose Disney's Lilo and Stitch as our theme. You remember that one. It's about a lonely little Hawaiian girl who adopts an ugly stray "dog" that she names Stitch. The dog turns out to actually be a genetic experiment who has escaped from an alien planet and crash-landed on Earth. Pandemonium ensues, until Lilo tames Stitch by teaching him the true meaning of love and family. Awww! Anyway, Lilo and Stitch led to the discovery of a recipe that has become one of our all time favorite dishes here in SGCC-land - Pacific Rim Burgers with Ginger Mayonaise.
...

..
I found this recipe years ago, while watching one of those cooking challenge shows on the Food Network. I think it was called the National Chicken Cook-Off, or something like that. I do remember that this was the winning entry. So, when I was looking for some Hawaiian-themed recipes, this one came to mind. I had bookmarked it, but had never made it before.
...
Holy Moly! WHAT THE HELL WAS I WAITING FOR!?!?!
...
Pacific Rim Burgers start with a base of ground chicken, to which you add some spicy good stuff. They are glazed with a honey-teriyaki mixture and either grilled or seared in a pan. Then, the burgers are smothered with an utterly magical ginger-based mayo, topped with crunchy, fresh cucumbers and served on toasted sesame seed buns. These burgers are so moist, flavorful and delicious that you will forget you're eating ground chicken. Honest! I swear! You'll never miss the beef!
.....
When I made these burgers a few nights ago, I needed to come up with a side dish to go with them. I didn't want anything heavy, because the burgers are so filling. I had some pre-packaged cole slaw mix in the fridge, so I decided to build on that. I rooted around the kitchen and grabbed a bunch of things that I thought would work with it. I tossed in some scallions, diced mango and pineapple, thinly sliced kumquats and some garlic. I dressed it with a bottled ginger slaw dressing from the supermarket, squeezed in a little lime juice and squirted a generous blob of Sriracha sauce in it too. What I ended up with was a fabulously sweet and spicy cole slaw that really knocked our socks off. I had to race to write down what I had done to ensure that I could make it again.

...
...
By the way, my daughter is fourteen now, and we still enjoy having "Theme Night". The movies we choose now are a little more sophisticated, but we still have the same silly, goofy fun. Oh, and Mini-SGCC has finally realized that being an only child has its advantages. You get lots more stuff and you don't have to share!


Pacific Rim Burgers with Ginger Mayonnaise
Adapted from Kristine Snyder and The Food Network
(Printable Version)


1 1/4 pounds ground chicken
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves, plus extra for garnish
1 clove garlic, minced (I use 2 cloves.)
1 teaspoon Asian hot chili sauce (I use Sambal Oelek and add 2 teasoons!)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup bottled teriyaki glaze
4 teaspoons honey (I use 3 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus extra for hands
4 sesame buns, split and toasted
1 seedless cucumber, peeled and sliced very thinly
Ginger Mayonnaise (recipe follows)
...
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, panko, egg, green onions, chopped cilantro, garlic, chili sauce, and salt. With oiled hands, form mixture into 4 patties.
...
In a small bowl, mix together the teriyaki glaze and honey. Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken patties and cook on both sides, brushing each side with the teriyaki-honey mixture, about 10 minutes, or until fully cooked through. (SGCC Note: I find that the glaze sometimes starts to burn before the burgers are cooked through, so I sear the burgers and finish them off for 10 minutes in a 400 degrees F. oven)
...
Place burgers on toasted buns and top with cucumber and Ginger Mayonnaise. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and cucumber slices.

Ginger Mayonnaise
...
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
...
In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use.
...
Kitchen Sink Asian Slaw
...
4 cups pre-packaged cole slaw mix
3 scallions, finely sliced
1 clove minced garlic
1 cup diced pineapple
1 cup diced mango

1/2 cup thinly slicd kumquats
1 cup ginger slaw dressing
juice of 1/2 lime
1-2 tablespoons Sriracha sauce to taste
chopped cilantro for garnish
...
Mix first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
...
Mix dressing and lime juice together. Pour over slaw and toss.
...
Mix in Sriracha sauce.
...
Enjoy!

If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy:

Chicken Apple Bacon Burgers from Culinary in the Country
Ultimate Veggie Burger from 101 Cookbooks
Spicy Grilled Turkey Burger with Cole Slaw from Simply Recipes
Cindy's Famous Duck Burgers from Married...with Dinner
Tuna Burgers with Wasabi Mayonaise from Family Style Food
Asian Salmon Burgers from Steamy Kitchen

Comments

Wow, that picture just brought back summer nostalgia!
Brilynn said…
That is so cute! I love the idea of theme night, your daughter will have such great memories of that later on.
Manggy said…
Aww, I hope your daughter is reading :) If she's anything like me she'd have tears all over!

I love this dish! It has the perfect mix of sweet and spicy, and it's chicken!
Peter M said…
This is a refreshing departure from the classic burger. I have to try the ginger mayo.
Gretchen Noelle said…
These do sound really delicious. I love both the burgers and the salad. Glad that mini-SCGG understands that only children have the advantage at times. I am one too!
It's only 7am but this already sounds good and I just had breakfast!
test it comm said…
That burger looks really tasty! I really like the cilantro in it!
SteamyKitchen said…
Ginger mayo! love it.
DocChuck said…
Your burger and salad are on our agenda for next weekend. Thanks for the great-sounding idea.
Helene said…
What a great recipe!What a great relationship with your daughter! I "borrow" the neighbor's twins some weekends and we set up the whole upstairs as a mad camp. They have so much fun because they know it is "free night" and it will usually end up with making cake!!
You sound like an awesome mom. I love the idea of theme nights. These burgers sound wonderful and since I just read my son Lilo and Stitch last night, I should try these.
Anonymous said…
Wow I've never thought of combining ginger with mayo. I'm sure it makes a great flavour.
Jen Yu said…
That is so awesome. What a great mom you are, hon. I can't eat much of anything right now, but if I could - it would be that burger with that slaw and pronto!! :) It looks absolutely delish. I love the combo of spicy and citrus and ginger - mmmmm. xxoo
RecipeGirl said…
How sweet! The burger looks burgerlicious. It's a great time for grilling around here so I'm starting to think about these things :)
Love these chicken Pacific Rim burgers!!!My daughter was an only child as well...for years I was her "bestest" friend:D
Love these chicken Pacific Rim burgers!!!My daughter was an only child as well...for years I was her "bestest" friend:D
These look fabulouso! I am definately going to make these.

Bisquick.......prepackaged slaw mix....I am noticing a pattern here. I will look away.....FOR NOW.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Jessy- Thanks! That's what I was going for!;)

Brilynn- Thank you! Hopefully, she ill remember it as fondly as I do.

Manggy- Lol! She probably thinks I'm a hopeless sap! Glad you like the dish!

Peter- The ginger mayo rocks!

Gretchen- Glad you like them! Mini-SGCC changed her tune around the same time iPod Nanos came out! ;)

Aran- What the heck are you doing up at 7 am on a Saturday, woman!?

Kevin- You are sweet. Thanks!

Steamy- It is the bomb!

DocChuck- You're very welcome! Let me know how they turn out.

Tartelette- Thank you! We have our moments. She doesn't think I am quite as wonderful now that she has discovered lip gloss and boys, lol. She is waaaay too cool! At least I still have my 5 year-old twin nephews to act silly with.

Lynn- Awww, thanks! I try to do the best I can, which is all any of us can do. You should definitely try the burgers. Call them super special Lilo and Stich Burgers and your son will love them!

Lore- Mayo is so bland, it goes with anything. Well, maybe not chocolate, but ginger? Definitely!

Jen- Shucks! You make me blush! I'm so sorry that you're feeling poorly again. Once all of this crazy $hit is over with, we are going to have some party! Shock waves will be felt all over the blogoshere!

Recipegirl- Thanks! Get your grill on. These babies are worth it!

Valli- Glad you like them. I would have loved to have more, but I can't complain. My daughter was and is an amazing person. I have been very blessed.

Obsessive- All right, smart a$$! Watch it....I've got my eye on you. Bwaaaaahhhhhh! ;)
Anonymous said…
man alive, i can't wait for grilling season to get here! these burgers are right up my alley.
I want that. RIGHT NOW!
Touching story and awesome looking burger. I've had burgers on the mind lately with no intent of making YABB (yet another beef burger)--this definitely looks well worth a try!
Deborah said…
These burgers sound AMAZING!! And I'm going to have to remember the theme night for when I have kids!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Michelle- Glad you like them! They come out great on the grill.

Forkfull- Well then, get that spaghetti off your fork and dig in!:)

Mike- Thank you! Give them a try. They are really flavorful.

Deborah- You don't need kids to have Theme Night! You can do it anytime.:)
Just a Girl said…
One time, a neighbor told me "the cleaning can wait, it will always be there but your children will be gone before you know it so have fun with them and clean when they are gone" And I took that to heart. Your post brought back memories of playing "Alligators" where we would hop from pice of furniture to pillows stacked onthe floor all in an effort not to touch the carpet because there were aligators there! Great fun. Anyway, your recipe is making me drool. I have to make this soon. Thank you for sharing!
Anonymous said…
My wife made the burgers and slaw a few days ago.

The burger won't be placed in our "keeper file," since it fell apart and we thought it had a very odd texture. Not offputting, but not that great. Of course my wife often makes mistakes in the kitchen so it could have been her fault, though I doubt it.

The slaw was a different story. Delicious! Will be making it often this summer.

Thanks, Chuck
Susan @ SGCC said…
Ellieut- I agree wholeheartedly! They're only young for such a short time. The Alligator game sounds like fun!

Glad you lile the recipe!

DocChuck- I'm sorry that the burgers didn't work out for you. I never noticed anything unusual about the texture, but everyone's experience is different. I'm glad you enjoyed the slaw, at least.
Brittany said…
Wow, glad I stumbled onto your site, this looks amazing! A definite add to next week's dinner menu!
DocChuck said…
The third poster above (DOcChuck) . . . note the IP address . . . is once again Louise ("chiffOnade") in Clearwater, Florida who apparently gets off on disrupting other people's BLOGS, and attempting to imitate the real DocChuck.

Louise ("chiffOnade") has not been the same since her fourth divorce, her second suicide attempt, her daughter's incarceration for selling drugs, and her mother Aida's death.

Kindly do NOT confuse ChiffOnade's remarks with any normal, intelligent person's comments.
Susan @ SGCC said…
DocChuck- I apologize for the mix-up. I did think it was odd that the second comment was not made with a Blogger account when the first one was. I tried to click on the name, but there was no link to follow. In my attempt to respond to all of my comments, I didn't pursue it further. I just assumed it was you. I didn't even pick up on the different spelling. I'll try to be more careful in the future.
MrsDocChuck said…
I'm sorry for my husband's outburst. He is unwell and his medication causes precarious mood swings. I hate it when he disrupts people's blogs.

We did make both the burgers and the slaw and, as reported, will be making the slaw again, as it was outstanding. The burgers not so much. I am an excellent cook (and registered nurse), by the way.

At any rate, thank you for both the recipe and your understanding.
Anonymous said…
Hello!
Love this blog. I made these burgers on the grill for some English guests (one a food historian) and they were blown away by them. Thank you so much- keep up the fantastic work!
Ravenous Couple said…
love the "kitchen" sink slaw! it reminds us alot of vietnamese style coleslaw "goi" anyhow, fantastic blog, so glad to have discovered it.

Popular Posts