Seductive Strawberry-Banana Trifle

...
I swear, sometimes I wish I lived alone. I mean it. I really love my family, but it would be nice to be able to focus on a project once in a while without hands reaching over my shoulder or dirty glasses appearing out of nowhere in the middle of my workspace. Just once, I would like NOT to be asked to drop everything to fix someone a snack when I'm in the middle of preparing a recipe for a post. I'd love to return from putting a cake or pudding in the garage refrigerator and not find the counter suddenly cluttered with peanut butter and jelly jars, or cold cuts, or cereal boxes or.....well, you get the picture. It can be very frustrating, but this is my life, and I do the best I can with it.
..
My frustration was working double duty the other day when I was trying to put together this post for Mike's Strawberry Seduction event. I had decided to make a Strawberry-Banana Trifle. All of the ingredients were waiting and I was ready to go. For over a week, I tried to set aside some time to put my dish together, and every day I was foiled. I actually had to buy strawberries three different times, because the ones I had kept getting old!

Yesterday, I had my opportunity. My daughter was still asleep in a Spring Break-induced stupor. My spouse was out toiling in the Rat Race. I was alone! I had everything ready and was composing the trifle in its bowl, when Mini-SGCC shuffled into the kitchen demanding breakfast and Mr. SGCC popped in from the office demanding lunch. WTF? Immediate stress ensued and the trifle paid the price.

I got so flustered at being double teamed by the two of them that I forgot to add the second layer of cake to my trifle! I didn't even realize it until I picked up the bowl to chill it for a while and saw the zip lock bag with the rest of the cake sitting there.
..
Shit!!!
...
After I had a little hissy fit, stomped my hurt foot on the floor (ouch!) and threw both husband and child out of the kitchen, I resigned myself to the fact that there was nothing I could do. I couldn't fix it, and I didn't have the time or extra ingredients to remake it. So, I figured that I would just come clean with you right from the start. There is a layer of cake missing from my trifle. There, I've said it. Now, we can move on.
...
...
Living near the Winter Strawberry Capital of the World, I am lucky to find an abundance of gorgeous fresh strawberries almost everywhere I go. So when Mike announced this event, I was in. Unfortunately, I had just posted about my favorite strawberry dessert, Strawberry Shortcake, only a week before. I was kind of bummed, because my Strawberry Shortcake rocks! Since I'm still a little bitter about it, I'm posting a picture of it anyway.
...
...
My Seductive Strawberry-Banana Trifle, however, is nothing to be trifled with. It is a super-rich and creamy dessert, laden with juicy, ripe and sweet strawberries. There is nothing that needs to be cooked or baked, so it can be whipped up pretty easily. The dish consists of alternating layers of cake, fruit, banana pudding and fresh whipped cream. You can choose to also add fresh bananas or leave them out. I left them out. They look a little gross when they start to turn brown.
..
The banana pudding recipe that I like to use for this dish is by Paula Deen. She's a died in the wool Southern gal and she knows her banana pudding. This incredible pudding starts with a mix that has cream cheese, condensed milk and whipped cream added to it. Can you stand it? I could hear my arteries crying as I read the recipe!
...
...
I'll also let you in on a little SGCC secret. Instead of mashing up a fresh banana in the pudding, I used.....baby food! Yes, baby food. I used Gerber Organic pureed bananas. They contain nothing but organic bananas and they are completely lump-free. I wanted my pudding to be silky smooth without any of those little black banana seeds. It worked like a charm. Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
..
Any kind of pound cake or angel food cake will work in this recipe. I had a bag full of leftover cake from the March Daring Bakers challenge in the freezer, so I used that. Paula says that you can also use Cool Whip in place of the cream, but.....why?
...
...
This Seductive Strawberry-Banana Trifle is a great no-fuss dessert that looks elegant (even with a missing layer) and tastes phenomenal.
...

Make sure you stop by Mike's place and check out all of the other great strawberry entries!


Seductive Strawberry-Banana Trifle

1 pound cake or angel food cake broken up into chunks
1 quart fresh sliced strawberries
1/2 cup strawberry jam
2 cups whole milk
1 (5-ounce) box instant French vanilla pudding
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup pureed ripe bananas or 1 cup Gerber Organic Pureed Bananas
6 cups sweetened fresh whipped cream, divided
Fresh berries for garnish

Mix the strawberries and jam together in a large bowl. Let sit for about 30 minutes.

In another large bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well.

Using yet another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Blend in the pureed bananas.

Fold half of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.

Line the bottom of a trifle dish or deep large bowl with half of the cake chunks. Top with a layer of strawberries and their juice, a layer of pudding and a layer of whipped cream. Repeat the layers, finishing with whipped cream.

Garnish with some fresh stawberries and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Enjoy!

Comments

Looks great....and I hear ya about the fam damily....can I have a snack, press play on my movie, I need an ice water w/cubes in it, i don wan wis snack, I wan somtin else, press play on my movie, i have to go pee someone needs to watch me (no not my husband either), i can't find my blackberry... so on and so forth. I forgot the vanilla and almond extract in my 7 minute frosting this evening because of these heathens. Pissy little twits!!!!
Helene said…
The cream almost overflowing over the rim...that did it for me!! Look so good. I admire your dealing with the family's demands.
RecipeGirl said…
It turned out VERY pretty!!

I'm just catching up on my blog reading this week. Sorry to hear about the icky plagiarizing that went on this week. I can't even imagine!!
Anonymous said…
This looks amazing! I think I should send my family out on invented errands so I can try this myself!!
grace said…
first of all, your strawberry shortcake does indeed rock.

secondly, using banana baby food in place of sliced bananas is a stroke of genius.

lastly, there's no way i could have just one serving of this masterful concoction. in fact, i'd probably skip dinner and just head straight for dessert. :)
I totally understand you!!! I try to only bake and photograph while my son naps. It's the only way I get things done. he loves getting his fingers into everything I make and that is just normal. I know. But frustrating at times.

We are lucky we live in Fl and that the strawberries are so abundant. Gotta love that!

i love triffles and this is no exception! I smiled when I saw you used the Gerber pureed bananas... clever!
Anonymous said…
Gorgeous! and I trust (almost) any recipe by miss Paula. ;)
Lore said…
Cream cheese, banana and strawberries..oh boy, oh boy! Will you please tell me there's none left if I asked for a refill?
Manggy said…
Hee! I hope you didn't actually say WTF in front of Mini-SGCC, lol :)

Well, I can't tell there's anything wrong with the trifle ;) It looks perfect to me. Even more delightful when you mentioned the pudding ingredients. That's quite decadent! For the short time I spent in the States I got to know Ms. Deen a little and I was sort of "WTF" myself (I mean, seriously, why is she speaking so slowly? What ARE these stories she's telling?) but I can forgive all just for contributing to this lovely trifle :p

Nice thinking with the bananas-- it's quite a jump in price, though! You must really hate those seeds!
This looks divine! I love trifle. I wouldn't even complain about the missing cake - it looks like it's got lots of whipped cream to make up for the loss. Baby food? What a great idea!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Obsessive- That is exactly how it is over here! Mini-SGCC never comes out of her room until the minute she hears me in the kitchen. Then, all of a sudden she desperately needs something! I mean, she can walk over to the AUTOMATIC ICE WATER DISPENSER as easily as I can!

Tartelette- Thanks! So glad you like it!

RecipeGirl- Thanks! I hope you're all better and back on your feet!

Joanne- Lol! Go for it!

Grace- Why, thank you, thank you and thank you! Don't spread it around, but I actually did have some for lunch yesterday! :O

Aran- I would expect your little guy to be messing around after you. He is a pre-schooler. My kid is 14!

Glad you like the baby food idea. Sometimes fresh bananas are mealy and not that sweet. This works great for a really smooth texture.

Ali- Thanks! Paula has never let me down yet.

Lore- Hehehe! Grab a spoon and come on over. I made a ton!

Manggy- Lol! I tried to control myself.

You're very kind about the trifle. I guess I notice it more because I know. It is a really decadent dessert. I've never met Paula, but I've eaten in her restaurant and had a fabulous meal there.

The baby food was pretty cheap. Less than a dollar. Fresh cream is the pricy thing - $2.59 for a pint!

Lynn- Thank you so much! Truth be told, the cake is my least favorite part. I didn't really miss it!
Chibog in Chief said…
oh my oh my your strawberry truly seduced me!! love the idea of strawberry and banana!!
Peter M said…
Trifles are one of my fave desserts. I'm also happy you're getting some progress on that "other" matter.
Very seductive I would say:D
Gretchen Noelle said…
I just pounded my fist when I saw that the banana pudding starts with instant. Boo! No. Instant. Pudding. Here. I am not sure why but I have been wanting to make banana pudding and had this glimmer of hope when I realized your trifle used it. Well, I will be on the lookout for something similar. Or can I just make vanilla pudding? (Glimmer of hope back) How much? Then add everything from there? MMmmm, what an idea...
DoughGirl said…
Ohh...that looks delicious! What a brilliant idea to use baby food for the bananas...genius.

I have three kids 6 y/o and under and the only time I get any baking done is verrry early in the morning and late at night after they are in bed. The rest of the day....the kitchen is pure chaos....there is just no getting anything done.
test it comm said…
That looks and sounds so good. Strawberries, bananas, cake and creamy goodnes...mmm... bookmarked.
Brilynn said…
I think I need to try this for the banana pudding recipe alone!!
Anonymous said…
Bananas and strawberries makes the best combination ever! Great recipe and great pics too! Thanks for sharing :)
Patsyk said…
Oh, there are so many days when I wish I didn't get interrupted while cooking - so may requests, arguments to settle between siblings, etc. That's why I end up posting after the smallest one's are in bed and my hubby is watching tv. My only quiet time! LOL!

I simply love trifles! I have a trifle dish, and sadly have only made one type of trifle in it... this one is going to be my next one though as it sounds absolutely wonderful!

ps... I received my way cool oven mitt on Friday! Thanks, again, Susan!!!!! :)
Susan @ SGCC said…
Dhanggit- Thanks! I'm so glad you liked it! :)

Peter- I love a good trifle too. Thanks about the other thing too.

Val- Thanks! :O

Gretchen- The recipe calls for instant French vanilla pudding. If you don't have instant, I don't see why you couldn't make your own vanilla pudding and go from there. When you combine the milk and the mix, you end up with a thick pudding and then add the other ingredients. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

DoughGirl- I hear ya. I do a lot of my baking late at night when everyone is asleep.

Glad you liked the baby food idea!

Kevin- Thanks a lot! If you make it, let me know how it turns out.

Brilynn- Oh, yes! The pudding is wonderful!

Isa- You're very welcome! I'm glad you liked it. I think it's a great combo too. :)
Susan @ SGCC said…
Patsy- It seems that a lot of us are in the same boat. It's amazing we are ever able to post at all!

Let me know if you make the trifle. I'd love to know how it turns out.

Use the oven mitt in happiness and good health!
Your picture looks gorgeous and seductive indeed!!
Pixie said…
I can see why you posted that strawberry shortcake photo again, OH YUM! sorry there was a piece of cake missing, it still looks wonderful and who can complain about a little extra whip?
Anonymous said…
I remember the days when the children were underfoot. Treasure them, because, believe it or not, you will miss it some day!
Missing a layer or not, your dessert is divine :)
Anonymous said…
Whipped cream and strawberries alone are my fav, but the addition of banana to this trifle might change that! I could even eat the banana/cream cheese/condensed milk combination alone!
This looks really, really, really good! I never knew Plant City was the winter strawberry capital! That's another important piece of info to add to my food trivia list!
Cakelaw said…
Oooh, yummy! No-one would ever know about the missing layer, and I will happily take a double helping please. Baby food bananas eh? Interesting.
Yum! Strawberry banana trifle! That is definitely on my to do list.
CookiePie said…
This looks AMAZING! Another triumph, SGCC... in spite of the interruptions. There are so many delicious things in there, I can't imagine that anyone would miss the second layer of cake! If they do, you just give their portion to me! :)
Heather said…
There is such a difference when you use fresh, in-season strawberries, isn't there? Fresh strawberries are not a trifling thing! HAHAHAHAHA okay sorry.

Brilliant, beautiful as always.
Ginny said…
Looks great! I don't have a family just roommates...who for some reason, always need to make something or do dishes when I am trying to cook. I relish the few times I can be alone in the kitchen. Your trifle looks delicious and I'm still drooling over the shortcake!
Emily said…
Your pictures are beautiful!! This looks delicious-
I didn't notice a layer was missing.

I'll have to try your baby food tip, for sure.
T’s Treats said…
You are missing cake?? no way!! you can't even tell, it looks awesome, and mouthwatering!! and so does that shortcake!!
Tell me about demanding, Susan. I don't have kids yet, but my husband sometimes drives me crazy!
Last week, I was in the middle of putting my brothers' cake together and he asks me to set him a snack to go with his beer... I just gave him a nasty look and he changed his mind. :)
I have never tried banana and strawberries together in a dessert, this looks so good!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Thanks, Marie! Glad you liked it.

Pixie- You're right. The creamy stuff is my favorite part!

Maryann- Thank you! Don't worry. I may complain a lot, but I adore them! :)

WoR Couple- I'm so glad you like it! You are sooo right! That banana pudding is absolutely dreamy!

Thanks, Cakelaw! Lol! Grab a spoon and dig in!

Jessy- Let me know how it turns out! :)

CookiePie- Thank you! You are too sweet! I'm so glad you like it.

Heather- Lol! Nope. Fresh strawberries are pretty damn serious.

Ginny- Thank you! Glad you liked them both! I guess we all relish our space in the kitchen. :)

Emiline- Thanks, so much! The baby food works great. You can just keep it in the pantry until you need it.

SweetDesigns- Thanks! I can definitely notice, but then, I know it's supposed to be there.

Patricia- Hehehe! You crack me up! Sometimes, the husbands are the biggest babies. I should try "the look" myself next time.
Anonymous said…
Can I just say that the missing layer isn't even noticable? I can't see past that delicious tower of strawberry creamy cakey goodness! :) And I totally hear ya on the kitchen invasions! lol
Deborah said…
This is definitely seducing me!!
How did I miss this? I could dive right into that trifle bowl, Susan. It looks luscious (and that's not a word I throw around lightly). :)
Susan @ SGCC said…
Thanks, Canary Girl! I'm glad you like it. I admit it's hard to miss a little cake with all that other great stuff going on.

Deborah- Thanks! That was the intent! ;)

Susan- Thank you! I really appreciate that. I have a hard time keeping up with all the posting and commenting too. :)
This looks amazing! Don't you just love the strawberries here in Florida?
Melissa said…
This looks unbelievable!! I just want to dive into that trifle! OMG, that whipped cream is heavenly..
Hey just wanted to say I snagged this recipe and will be making for mother's day brunch! Thank you :)

Popular Posts