Potato Fritters for Sher

...

Last Sunday, the food blog community lost one of its own. Sher, of the popular blog What Did You Eat? passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack. I didn't know Sher well, but what I did know, I liked very much. She was smart and funny and caring. Her blog was a great read, with terrific recipes and beautiful photography. I enjoyed myself whenever I visited and I will miss her.


My heart goes out to Sher's husband, Bob, and the rest of her family and friends. It is always a tragedy to lose someone you love, especially so suddenly and without warning.
...

...

As a tribute to Sher, Mary of Bread Baking Babes and Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen have organized an online memorial to her. Fellow food bloggers all over the Internet have been preparing recipes from Sher's blog and will be posting about them today. I think that this is a wonderful idea and I am proud and happy to participate.


There were so many great recipes to choose from, it was hard for me to decide what to make. I finally settled on her recipe for Potato Fritters with Sweet Pepper Relish. These are not fritters in the traditional sense of the word as I understand it, as they contain no flour in the mix. They are actually more like a potato cake or croquette. Whatever you call them, however, they are delicious!
...

...

Potato Fritters with Sweet Pepper Relish
Adapted from Deborah Madison, The Greens Cookbook via Sher of What Did You Eat?

(Printable Recipe)

..

2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
3 egg yolks

1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro

1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, white and some of the green part

1 cup shredded jack cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup panko bread crumbs

4 tablespoons oil

Sweet Pepper Relish (recipe follows)

...

Put potatoes in a steamer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a bowl and roughly break them up with a fork. Don't try to make them too smooth.


Add the egg yolks, cilantro, scallions, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into patties shaped and sized as you like. I let the patties rest in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up so that they would hold their shape better while frying.


Dredge patties in the bread crumbs and press the crumbs into the patties on both sides.


Heat the oil in a skillet until hot and cook the patties over medium high heat, until browned on both sides.


Serve immediately with the Sweet Pepper Relish.

...

Sweet Pepper Relish


1 small yellow pepper
1 small red pepper

1/4 small red onion, finely diced

1/2 cup virgin olive oil

2 Tablespoons or more balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper to taste

...

Trim the peppers, cut them into thin slices and dice into small even pieces. Combine the peppers, onion oil and vinegar and add salt and pepper to taste. Marinate this for about 2 hours, then drain the oil off (reserving for other purposes, like salad dressing) when you are ready to serve the fritters.
..



Enjoy!

Comments

Wow. These potato fritters look amazing. Simple ingredients, extraordinary food.
Manggy said…
Yeah, I read it from Anh's blog a few days back. I didn't know Sher at all, but it made me sad, visiting her blog and reading the last entry, like life would go on as usual.. Such a tragedy.
Nice tribute you have written here, Susan :)
Arundathi said…
those "fritters" look lovely.
and what a lovely tribute to Sher.
Anonymous said…
A lovely tribute... and these fritters look amazing!
Anonymous said…
What a loss, Sher actually lived in my town...so very sad.
test it comm said…
Those potato fritters look good and I like the sound of the sweet pepper relish.
Veron said…
Those potato fritter look awesome. This is such a great tribute to Sher!
Holy Crap...she died on my bday. How sad! Not too make light, but quite frankly I am surprised we ALL aren't dropping like flies around here the way we cook and eat. potato fritters sure ain't bird food. and neither is that carrot cake you are craving.
Emily said…
I had no idea. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sher sounds dear, and I'm sure she will be greatly missed.

Her recipe sounds wonderful.
Paula said…
This is a lovely tribute to Sher. How wonderful that so many people will be able to honor her through her food. Lovely recipe.
Wow - sorry to hear about Sherry.

The fritter looks good - and that sweet pepper relish looks even better. I could find a million uses for that relish.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com
This is a great tribute to Shery. The blogging community has lost a kindred spirit:D
Anonymous said…
I heard about Sher from Grace's site A Southern Grace. I hadn't discovered Sher's blog and am saddened by her passing and that I didn't get a chance to know her and her recipes.
A lovely recipe and a lovely tribute.
grace said…
your fritters would've made sher proud, there's no doubt about that. this is a lovely tribute.
Anonymous said…
What a lovely tribute to Sher. These look just lovely!
Anonymous said…
i've never visited Sher's blog, such a shame. and it's so kind of you to make this in tribute to her. x
Anonymous said…
Small prezzie for you on my blog - please stop by!
Unknown said…
a nice tribute...^_^

and i am always a big fan of potato anything. loving the sweet pepper relish idea, i did something similar and added shrimps into the potato mix
Anonymous said…
What a lovely tribute, Susan. I didn't know Sher, but was so sad to hear of this tragic news.
They look terribly good! A wonderful recipe and a great tribute!

cheers,

Rosa
CookiePie said…
What a lovely tribute - how kind of you to mark her passing! And the fritters looks wonderful!
Deborah said…
What a great dish to honor Sher!!
Anonymous said…
Looks wonderful and I am sure Sher would say so too.
Joanna Schmidt said…
I love fitters of every kind.

Chop
Saute
Salt
Garnish.

Cook me any fitter and I will be your friend for life.

Doesn't take much, eh?
Joanna Schmidt said…
I would like to say how sorry I am that Sher has passed. I think it is a wonderful thing to do this. Pay homage.

My heart goes out to her family....
Heather said…
these look delicious! i'm sure sher and her family would be happy to see this and the other lovely posts out there.
Heather said…
The irony of losing a food blogger to heart attack, albeit tragic, is not lost on me. I'm glad that everyone is still cooking and celebrating food as Sher would if she hadn't been ripped away from the world so suddenly.

Keep enjoying good food! Remember, the Russian words for "life" and "stomach" are only one letter apart.
Cakelaw said…
A tasty tribute to Sher.
Anonymous said…
That is so sad; you've given her a fine tribute, they look beautiful and delicious.
Anonymous said…
This IS a wonderful idea! I think it's great that the very community of which Sher was a part is commemorating her presence. Nice potato fritters!
A lovely tribute. You are one of the people who make this blogging community so special.
A great recipe to honor her, Susan.
Jescel said…
nice tribute Susan. it's indeed painful to lose someone, esp. without a warning... your fritters look so good, as usual.
Mansi said…
Sher was such a lovely cook, and I'm sure an equally nice person! thanks for shairng her recipe with all of us!
In India we call these Aloo tikkis ... spuce it up with a few indian spices and there u have it.
I love this version with the egg yolk and cheese, must make them kind of rich ? The relish is a wonderful idea to go with it.
You did Sher proud with these beautiful potato fritters.
Mary said…
Wow, Sher's recipes are always so good. I've never tried this one, but I've got it bookmarked now!
mimi said…
you are all doing such lovely tributes to sherry, in the best way possible. these fritters look gorgeous, the colors are just great. would love to try these out!

Popular Posts