Tuesdays with Dorie: Apple Cheddar Scones

...
I'm going to tell you right up front that this post is going to short and sweet. Today is Tuesday, and we all know what THAT means. It's time for another edition of Tuesdays with Dorie. Since this week's baking adventure comes right on the heels of the latest Daring Bakers challenge, (which was a doozy of a process), I just don't have the time or the energy to be verbose!

The first thing I have to say is thank heaven for Karina of The Floured Apron for choosing a recipe that could be whipped together in about ten minutes flat! Her choice of Apple-Cheddar Scones was a godsend after two days of rolling and rolling and rolling laminated pastry dough with a dislocated elbow! I started making these scones at 7:30 this morning and by 8:30, I had fresh, hot and delicious scones to enjoy with my morning coffee.
...
...
As soon as I read the name of the recipe, I knew that these would be a hit at my house. Mr. SGCC will eat anything that has cheese in it. He is a big, fat cheesehound! In fact, he will not touch a burger or sandwich of any kind unless it has cheese on it. What can I do? I married him for better or for worse!

The instructions for this recipe were very straighforward and easy to follow. My dough came together really easily. I must warn you, however, this is one hell of a sticky dough! It stuck to everything it touched, including my fingers, like Krazy Glue. If you try these, make sure you have plenty of extra flour for dusting. Instead of scooping them out or free-forming them, I baked the scones in a non-stick scone pan, because I happened to have one.

I stuck with the original recipe as written, mostly because I really didn't have time to experiment. I'm glad I did, though, because these scones are really wonderful just as they are. They turned out very moist with a dense, but light crumb. I wasn't sure how I'd like the apple/cheese combination, but it really worked. The sweet and savory components were well balanced. The scones were quite delicious and with the melted cheddar laced all through them, they looked pretty too.
...
...
We enjoyed our scones with some luscious creme fraiche and a drizzle of orange blossom honey. They were the perfect complements. If you're ever looking for a quick easy and tasty addition to your brunch table, this is it. I will definitely make them again.

Now, get on over to the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll and check out what everyone else has done with this recipe. I'm sure that you'll be inspired!
...
Enjoy!

Comments

kimberly salem said…
your scones look beautiful! looks great with the creme fraiche, i think i would have liked them more if i had some of that or some melted cheese on top ;)
Manggy said…
Looks lovely, Susan! How about creme fraiche, honey, baked beans, and crispy bacon too?! I'm all set after that! :D (I'm such a.... guy. Lol.) My brother too will eat anything with cheese in it!
Heather B said…
great job! Your scones look delicious!
Unknown said…
Wow - those pictures are gorgeous! Your scones look amazing, especially with the creme fraiche drizzle...yum...
Patsyk said…
Oh, do those look amazing! I've never made scones, but I know that cookbook is fantastic so I may just have to give them a try!
they look fabulous! great job!
Jen said…
Oh, Susan... this will make my DH SO happy - apples and cheddar are two of his favorite things in the universe! Yum!
Susie Homemaker said…
Agghhh. You HAPPENED to have a non-stick Scone Pan??! Is there any baking apparatus you DON'T have?? I am so jealous. Can you tell?
Kayte said…
Your scones look wonderfully cheesy...and the last photo just put them over the top. Great job. Fun post.
~Kayte
www.grandmaskitchentable.typepad.com
Engineer Baker said…
Very pretty! Creme fraiche and orange blossom honey sound like wonderful additions to the scones.
Anonymous said…
Jeeze louize I love scones.
Jules Someone said…
Those look really delicious. I ate mine straight up. But the honey idea sounds good.
Prudy said…
Creme fraiche and honey would make these scones amazing. Yours are lovely!
I just love savory scones and I've seen this recipe but haven't made it yet. I will now.
Katie B. said…
Your scones look bakery-perfect! Your tolerance for pain amazes me! :)
Chef Jeena said…
Oooooh orange blossom honey YUUUMMMM!! Amazing scones! :-)
Lauren said…
love the choice of toppings! and beautiful pictures!
Anonymous said…
These look so good! Beautiful work.
test it comm said…
Those cheese and apple scones look great! Covering them with creme fraiche and orange blossom honey sounds even better.
Pamela said…
The pictures are beautiful and so are the scones.
Linda said…
creme fraiche and honey...how decadent!!! beautiful work!
Cynthia said…
I am drooling here!
Anonymous said…
Your scones look amazing! I love the creme fraiche and orange honey on top- it looks delicious!
Esi said…
I agree with Erin, these look fantastic. I have tried cheddar dill scones before, but I definitely want to add these on my "to do" list for scones.
grace said…
i know a few cheesehounds myself. :) i'm not a cheesehound, but i could very well be a creme fraiche hound. pour it on! :)
Anonymous said…
My, my they do look very pretty. Your topping choices are superb, really.
Rachel said…
These sound fantastic - making me feel really hungry! I like a sweetish cheese scone but have a sugar intolerance so by putting in some sweet apple I could get this sweetness. Thanks for the recipe!
Lisa said…
Those are gorgeous scones. Sweet and savory. I'd love to try one!
marae said…
creme fraiche...yum! i didn't have time to pair my scones with too much but they were still tasty as is. your photos are fab!
Anonymous said…
They look so good (and I had no idea that they could made so quickly). Also, I've tagged you on my site for an optional meme.
CookiePie said…
These look delicious! I love the apple-Cheddar combo - YUM!
Nina Timm said…
Apple, cheddar....and then creme fraiche and honey????? My mouth is watering, oh my Gosh!!!
Anonymous said…
Lovely! I'm going to have to bake more just to try them with orange blossom honey. Mmmmm.
Brilynn said…
I loved these scones when I made them a couple months ago. They actually started me on a scone making spree...
LyB said…
Oooh, crème fraîche and honey, why didn't I think of that? :) I just love scones, and yours look perfect!
The creme fraiche and orange honey sound heavenly. Good job. Hope your elbow is feeling better!
Sarah said…
I love savory cheddar with something sweet (like honey--mmmmm). These look fabulous! Now stay off that elbow for heaven's sake! Hope it feel better very soon!
I love scones and I love this flavor combination. These would be great on a chilly fall day with a cup of tea and a good book. (Okay. That's it. I'm going to enjoy summer and never think about fall again until September. This interlude brought to you by sheer insanity.)
Shari said…
I loved how quickly this recipe came together (especially after the DB this month!). Great pictures.
Shari@Whisk: a food blog
giz said…
With everything you had going on and including the dislocated shoulder, I'm amazed you were able to roll anything for any length of time let alone whip up a Danish Braid and then jump into scones. Now that's dedication.
Mari said…
That last photo is drool-worthy!!

Popular Posts