Flavor of the Month: Matcha Fro Yo

matcha-froyo-title

I decided to mix it up a little for this installment of Flavor of the Month. Instead of ice cream, I've made you an unbelievably delectable frozen treat: Matcha Frozen Yogurt. I know you're gonna love it!

Yogurt has always been one of my favorite foods. Why wouldn't it be? It's smooth, creamy, delicious and nutritious. Ever since I swirled my spoon into that first container of Dannon Strawberry Fruit on the Bottom yogurt as a kid in the 70's, I was hooked. Then, came Yoplait. You didn't even have to stir that kind! Plus, it sounded so French! I knew it had to be something special.

Of course, now that I'm older with a much more sophisticated palate, I've expanded my horizons on the yogurt front. I love to cruise down the dairy aisle at Whole Foods and try out all of the different brands. My absolute favorite is the Canadian company Liberté's Méditerranée Yogurt. It's a rich sundae-style (fruit on the bottom) yogurt that is quite simply the most delicious fruit yogurt I have ever eaten. It is difficult to find here in the States, and I usually have to special order it. Another yogurt that I really love is Fage Total Greek Yogurt, especially with some luscious orange blossom honey drizzled on top!

matcha3

As much as I adore yogurt, one thing that I've never liked so much is frozen yogurt. Around the same time that Dannon and Yoplait were gaining popularity in the U.S., companies like TCBY started jumping on the bandwagon with their so called "frozen yogurt" products. The rationale behind it was that since yogurt was looked upon as a health food, frozen yogurt was a healthier alternative to other frozen desserts, namely ice cream. Good concept, but crappy tasting product - at least as far as I was concerned.

What I found most offensive is that no frozen yogurt I had ever tried tasted remotely like yogurt at all. Enter Pinkberry, Red Mango, Sunni Bunni and the like, which represent the new wave of gourmet frozen yogurt. These products carry a premium price tag, but the ones I've tried actually taste like yogurt. Really, really, really, good yogurt!

matcha-froyo1

And guess what? You can make your own incredible frozen yogurt that tastes even better than those uber premium brands mentioned above. And, it is ridiculously simple to do!

The basis for this recipe came from my favorite ice cream guru, David Lebovitz. In his book, The Perfect Scoop, he shares several super easy recipes for homemade frozen yogurt that I have made almost weekly for the past year and a half. David makes his fro yo with nothing but yogurt, sugar and natural flavorings.

For my Matcha Frozen Yogurt, I've done the same, using thick, Greek-style yogurt, sugar and Japanese matcha, which is the finely ground powder of the highest-quality, most revered part of the shade-grown green tea plant. Traditionally used in the Japanese Tea Ceremony, matcha can also be found used as a flavoring in sweets, pastries, cakes, shakes, ice cream, and alcoholic beverages. It has a kind of faintly grassy taste that somehow marries well with sweets. When churned into frozen yogurt, it morphs into clouds of delightfully tangy, subtly earthy frozen perfection. Another bonus of matcha is that it's known for having phenomenal antioxidant properties as well as many other health benefits. It is also the loveliest shade of green you'll ever see!

matcha4

Matcha Frozen Yogurt
(Printable Recipe)

4 cups Greek-style yogurt
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended. Refrigerate several hours until thoroughly chilled.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Store in the freezer until it reaches your desired firmness.

Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.

Enjoy!

Previous Flavor of the Month entries:

Toasted Coconut-Sesame Brittle Ice Cream

Pomegranate Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

Comments

This frozen yogurt looks delicious and your picture are really stunning!

Cheers,

Rosa
Snooky doodle said…
oh this looks so nice and yummy. Great photo! I love yogurt :)
Deeba PAB said…
Matcha made in heaven Susan..I love 'fro yo', & even though matcha isn't available in India, I'm in love with the concept! I made David Levobtiz Frozen strawberry yogurt, thrice this season, & it's out of this world!! Yours is beautiful & green!!
I love fro yo! I love Dave L and I love your photos!
Steph said…
That frozen yogurt looks so good! I'm obsessed with green tea anything. A healthy version means you can eat more!
Nina Timm said…
I have never had matcha tea before...have no idea what it tastes like. Your photos are outstanding, Susan!!!
Anonymous said…
This frozen yogurt sounds so delicious and gorgeous pictures!
Meg said…
Delicious looking frozen yogurt with health benefits! I love it!
Jeff said…
I love using green tea powder in ice cream and for some reason never ever thought of applying it to frozen yogurt.

I grew up on the TCBY and thought that is what frozen yogurt should taste like. Once I had the real stuff well I never looked back.

Nicely done!
test it comm said…
Green tea ice cream is one of my favorites and a frozen yogurt version would be even better! Great photos!
Mmm looks great. I'm totally with you on Liberté's Méditerranée. And frozen yogurt is my favourite dessert to make because there's no need to make a custard.
anna said…
Matcha is the best! My family was really health-conscious so my mom only ever bought frozen yogurt. which drove me nuts, especially because my favorite, black raspberry, was only available with chocolate chips as a fro yo - I wanted the plain ice cream and told her so every time but she wouldn't buy it!! Seems a little backwards that the healthier version came with chocolate chips! We went to TCBY quite a lot (I only ever got weird flavors, like pumpkin soft serve or cherry pop rocks). I haven't considered making my own actual frozen yogurt, and wasn't impressed by either Pinkberry or Red Mango (I'd rather have a smoothie or some Ben & Jerrys) but I do love Greek yogurt so maybe I'll try this sometime. Anything with matcha...
noble pig said…
I have been dying to get some Matcha and this just looks awesome.

My first job...Penguin's Frozen Yogurt.
Maria said…
Fro you is my favorite treat!! I love the green color, will have to try this flavor!!
Dana said…
I love Red Mango's green tea frozen yogurt but not the price tag! I have never made fro yo but will definitely try this, looks great!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Thank you all for your lovely comments! I'm so glad that you liked the fro yo! So east to make and so delicious! Thanks also for your sweet comments about my photos. My favorite is the last one of the empty spoon.

Deeba- I've made the strawberry too. Definitely a favorite!

Steph- So true and you could probably get away with eating it for breakfast too! ;)

Nina- It's kind of hard to describe. Very "herby" and "grassy".

Jeff- Poor TCBY! It does fill a void, but you're right. After you've had the real thing, there's no going back!

Marc- You probably have an easier time finding Mediterranee than I do. Our WF used to carry it, but now I have to order it by the case to get it. $$$$!

Anna- Lol! My mom used to buy those Dannon yogurt pops. Remember boysenberry?

Noble Pig- Penguin's Frozen Yogurt? Lol! I'll bet the uniforms were cute! ;)
Kalyn Denny said…
Just fantastic. I haven't cooked with Matcha, but I want to.
Kristen said…
What totally cool photos! YuM!
OMG, I can't wait to try this! It looks so good and your pictures are just stunning. Thanks!

+Jessie
Oh! Looks fantastic. I'm addicted to Pinkberry et all and love anything matcha. Yours looks fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
This is truly a receipe after my own heart. Incredible!!
smc said…
Another truly beautiful blog entry!
That looks divine! And the photos are excellent. I will definitely try that soon.

When is the Dinner and a Movie deadline, I have posted my recipe... Ciao
pam said…
This is definitely on my list to try. I adore frozen yogurt. All kinds.
Unknown said…
This looks fantastic :)
Matcha is on the short list of ingredients I've promised to learn to use in 2009. And I'm a huge fan of frozen yogurt over fruit salad for dessert, even for the fanciest dinners. To me the combination of cold flavors is the perfect end to a meal. Thanks for the kick in the pants -- time to get my matcha going!
Cynthia said…
I can't wait to one day try the matcha.
SteamyKitchen said…
that's the prettiest photo of matcha I've ever seen! I want a bite.
MaryBeth said…
I love froyo....My husband love green tea so I bet he would also love this!!
Elissa said…
Matcha is one of my obsessions. Your photography is really breathtaking... I can't wait to try this!
What a delicious looking yogourt. And yes Liberté is a winner. So good.
RecipeGirl said…
You completely outdid yourself on this one. Absolutely beautiful pictures, and a fascinating shade of green fro yo! I love it!

I have yet to use Matcha for anything. Can't wait to experiment with it one of these days!
Elyse said…
Mmm, Pinkberry has been an amazing thing--real frozen yogurt is the BEST! I can't wait to try your awesome looking recipe. I mean, talk about a mean looking frozen yogurt. You totally did the FroYo community proud!
so yummy!
i love matcha so much 2~
Manggy said…
I'm the reverse! I grew to love yogurt slowly, tasting the imitation-ice cream frozen yogurt first and liking it, ha ha :) (but I think the local company here, BTIC-- Better Than Ice Cream-- has a very good product, I dunno about TCBY.) My little cousins love Yogurt Circle :) Anyway, I think they had this flavor in soft serve! It's awesome. Yours looks beautiful!
Anonymous said…
I love real tasting frozen yogurt too. I've been meaning to buy matcha as an ingredient, but haven't yet. Your matcha frozen yogurt looks delicious. YUM.
Debbie said…
Looks delicious Susan. I just recently got an ice cream maker so I will give this a try. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
Your pictures are always so great. What a nice summer treat.
Nicole said…
Sounds delightful! I wonder if I could do the same and substitute chocolate for the green tea and get my daughter to eat yogurt?????
Claudia said…
This is a definite thumbs up! Looks heavenly. I've never used tea powder before... a new adventure. Great photos.
Anonymous said…
Oh, Susan! That looks fantastic! Creamy and cold and wonderful:D
Tangled Noodle said…
I love yogurt and the idea of blending it's flavor with the cold creaminess of ice cream is divine! I've heard so much about places like Pinkberry but there are no outlets here in MN (that I know of). Here's hoping they'll expand out here!
Susan, Your photo skills are breathtaking! I love the second and last one!
Unknown said…
it was 90 degrees today that would have been perfect.
Wow, it's really that easy? The thought of green tea and Greek yogurt flavors together has me planning to buy these ingredients tomorrow. I love the color of that matcha - gorgeous!
Green tea powder, eh? I could totally get down w/this!
Unknown said…
sounds and looks so yum... :)
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I've been making ice cream this spring to but have yet to try making fro yo.

Your photos are outstanding especially their colorings, the greens and black. The pop of the fruit colors.
~ingrid
what an amazing idea i love it
Brilynn said…
I loooove Greek yogurt! I have plans of making a maple blueberry fro yo in the very near future using greek yogurt. Green tea sounds equally delicious!
Peter M said…
I'm tempted to throw condensed milk into this mix...why not? Two scoops please!
ahhh yum! that sounds so good. btw i love liberte yogurt, too (esp the six grain varietes). i'm easily able to find it at the stores in nyc...i guess i'll count myself lucky!
"Tramie" said…
Hi!!! I just made this recipe & I linked you. I love your blog & the photos are amazing!!!!

Thank you so much!!!!!
Mermaid Sews said…
Wow, this looks so good. I really ought to try making homemake frozen yogurt, I love the stuff.

Popular Posts