Carnivore Heaven: Dry-Aged Ribeyes with a Spicy, Smoky Cacao Nibs Rub

...
I think I've mentioned once or twice that Mr. SGCC is a card carrying, dyed-in-the-wool carnivore. In fact, I've actually referred to him as a caveman (in the nicest possible way, of course) in the past. He not only loves meat, he lives for it! So, when I came home from work the other day with a hefty package of prime, dry-aged ribeye steaks, he was a happy caveman indeed. And, when Mr. SGCC is happy, we're all happy!
...
...
While I don't share the same fanatical devotion to beef, I have to admit, those steaks were gorgeous! I really didn't need to do anything to them at all except toss them on the grill, but then I wouldn't have had anything to write about. Plus, these splendid specimens of bovine perfection deserved to be showed off a little. Marinating them would have been sacrilegious, so I decided to dress them up with one of my favorite dry rubs - a spicy, smoky cacao nibs spice rub
...
...
I normally use this rub on less luxurious cuts of beef, like skirt or flank steak, but I really love the flavors and thought it would work well on these steaks. I was right. The rub gave the steaks just the right amount of "oomph" to transform them from mere excellence into something spectacular!

I found the orginal recipe on the Food Network web site, courtesy of John Scharffenberger. I've adjusted a few things and added some others because.....well, just because I'm crazy that way.
...
...
Ribeye Steaks with a Spicy, Smoky, Cacao Nibs Rub
Inspired by John Scharffenberger
..
4 tablespoons cacao Nibs
2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
4 tablespoons brown sugar, packed (Use less or more according to your taste.)
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2-4 generously-sized ribeye steaks, at least 1 inch thick
..
Combine all ingredients except the steaks in the bowl of a food processor, spice grinder, or mortar and pestle. Grind until the nibs break into particles the size of large grains of sand. The rub can be stored in a tightly covered jar for up to 1 month.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Rinse and pat the steaks dry with paper towels. Generously coat each with the rub on both sides and wrap in foil or plastic wrap. Put them in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The steaks can sit overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to cook, remove the steaks from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.

Heat about a teaspoon of oil in a large oven-proof skillet or frying pan over high heat. (I use a cast iron skillet.) Sear the steaks for about 3 minutes on each side or until a nice crust forms. Finish cooking the steaks in the oven until they are done the way you like them.

Let the steaks rest a few minutes before cutting to seal in the juices.

Beat your fists against your chest and enjoy!
...
If you like this recipe, you might also enjoy:
...
..
**Special Contest Announcement**
..
Marx Foods is hosting a great salmon recipe contest! Pop on over to their web site and submit your favorite salmon recipe by Friday, June 20, 2008. Salmon should be the star of the dish, but the recipe can incorporate any variety of salmon—fresh, frozen, smoked, canned, pickled, etc. I've entered my Salmon Mousse.
..
The creator of the winning recipe will receive three separate 5 lb. shipments of wild salmon fillets; one in July, August, and September, 2008, on the day of their choosing. Each shipment will contain a different type of wild salmon, varying by species and river origin.
..
The winning recipe will be judged by the MarxFoods.com staff on deliciousness and originality. Please only enter a recipe that can be created in a home (vs. professional) kitchen. Each contestant is limited to entering one recipe.
..
A winner will be announced on Wednesday, June 25.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ok, am I the only one who doesn't know what cacao nibs are? lol
I'm really ashamed of myself here!
Anyway, ribeye is one of my favorite cuts. Nice photos :)
Anonymous said…
I am right on the carnivore band wagon with Mr. SGCC...they are gorgeous!!!!

I can smell them on the grill.
Peter M said…
Sticky, I just had my own steak this evening and I share yor and your hubby's satisfaction...Um-um good!

Thanks also for the steak marchand link.
Jen said…
This sounds amazing. Believe it or not, I've never used rubs. I think this may be my new challenge for the summer!

Each summer I try to take a new style/cuisine on. Last summer it was Provencal cooking. That was fun.
Anonymous said…
LOL! My honey is a full on carnivore too! He grew up on a cattle ranch, so he was pretty much born a carnivore! I really gotta show him your rib-eye steaks, his second favorite next to him all time favorite, t-bone.
When he I see him later on he's totally gonna drool over your pictures!
Manggy said…
Oh, those look so gorgeously juicy. (Too bad I've never seen cocoa nibs around these parts, ever :( )I consider myself an omnivore, but beef has its place, pork moreso :)
Nina Timm said…
It looks like we all had the same great idea, Susan. I love the dry rub idea. I might just give up my flop proof idea for this one.Delicious!
Sophie said…
My hubby has been dying to try aged beef! His birthday is next Monday, and I promised I'd make it for him. If I were to make this recipe indoors, on the stove (sadly, don't have a grill), would I have to cook it differently than the usual rib eye? I'm assuming the cooking process is different, but I am so ignorant on this topic :D.
Anonymous said…
Wow, my mouth is watering. Love the pictures really want to try the recipe!!!
Anonymous said…
Would you just LOOK at that juicy steak? Perfection, my dear...seriously! And good luck in the contest! Salmon mousse sounds like a winning recipe to me. :)
Chibog in Chief said…
your photos are mouth-watering! guess i know what i'll cook this sunday ..;thanks for this yummy treat!!
Gretchen Noelle said…
Delicious sounding rub! They sell nibs here (at least I think they are!) in bulk but I have never bought them and have no idea where to start with them!
Anonymous said…
Yep, carnivores, here, too! We must have been on the same steak wave length -- your flavors sound absolutely scrumptious! Mmmm...mustard in any kind of a rub will get my attention.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Thanks, Everyone! I'm so glad you liked the steaks. It's amazing what great results you can get when you start with a good cut of meat. I really appreciate all of your comments and I enjoy reading each of them.

Maryann- From the Scharffenberger web site "Cacao Nibs are perfectly roasted cocoa beans separated from their husks and broken into small bits. They are the essence of chocolate. Nibs add crunchiness and subtle chocolate flavor to baked goods and savory dishes. They make a great substitute for roasted nuts or chocolate chips, without added sweetness."

Noble Pig- Lol! I kind of gathered that from your name. ;)

Peter- My pleasure!

Jen- I like rubs because they don't change the flavor of the meat.

WORC- Oh boy! He must be quite an expert! My fave cut is a bone-in ribeye. The best of both worlds!

Manggy- Pork is more fun to play around with, I think. A lot more versatile.

Nina- Great minds think alike! ;)

Sophie- I seared these steaks in a cast iron skillet to crust them. Then, I finished them off in a hot oven until they were the right doneness. It works great.

Joanne- Go for it! It's really easy.

Canarygirl- Thanks! Hopefully, the mousse will be different enough from the others to get noticed.

Dhanggit- So glad you like the photos! I had good material to work with. ;)

Gretchen- I didn't know what to do with them either. There are lots of great ideas on the blogs.

Kellypea- You can play around with this rub a little. I've even added espresso powder to it before.
Anonymous said…
how come you never come to my house with a hefty package of prime, dry aged rib-eye?
Anonymous said…
Aye, there's the rub! :)

That looks so delicious!
Susan @ SGCC said…
Michelle- Because I don't know where you live! Lol! :D
Heather said…
Susan, that is one good-looking piece of meat. That rub sounds exactly like the type of thing I would make! Except I haven't sourced cacao nibs yet. Hmmm...

I think I want to eat a bunch of that steak with a plate of flour tortillas. Yum.
I couldn't post a comment until I wiped all of the drool off the keyboard. What a really unusual flavor combination.

I have a man's appetite in a woman's body. I love a good steak. It's my husband who shies away from meat. It's like we have our brains switched.

I'm very excited about the fact that a farm stand I frequent will now be selling their own beef (although I will try not to think about the fact that I'm eating the same cows I've been watching graze in the fields by the road and yelling "moo" at in the car). I think I know what I'm doing with the first steak I buy from them.
Megan said…
As soon as I can score some cacao nibs (next trip to Sacramento), This is so on the menu!
Elly said…
These look SO GOOD! I love all the flavors in the rub. They complement one another so nicely. I can practically taste these :)
Anonymous said…
Mention chocolate, in any form, and I'm there. And that rub certainly ... rubs me the right way.
Sorry. The words escape me with such mouthwatering pictures.

I've had Cocoa Nibs sitting and patiently waiting in my pantry for just such a spicy rub, and here it is. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
How to improve a hot beef injection - Chocolate.

Amazing.
Mr. SGCC and Mr. Scarpin would fight over this, Susan. :)
That looks delicious! I need to get my hands on some cacao nibs--I only just recently tried using cocoa powder in a rub on beef and I was blown away, so I can only imagine how this came out.
This is the 3rd steak I've seen cooked up today, and a winner with this rub, very popular in resturants out here. I intend to try it in my near future, you have wet my appetite for it!
Oh, yeah, baby, I can taste the "oomph" from here!
RecipeGirl said…
I do love a good steak if they're tender and delicious. Nothing fancy. I don't usually do them very well myself. Yours looks especially good!!
Maggie said…
I've got to try these. My husband is big into the cacao nibs and ribeyes are his favorite cut.
GOSH this looks good.....I am not a huge meat lover but I love a good steak. I am so ashamed...I feel like I should become vegetarian. I am sorry for the cows who get their throats slit and their ass electrically probed....I guess I just don't feel bad enough not to eat one. Ugh.......I hope I don't burn in vegan hell cause I know that AIN'T no place for me, give me dairy or give me de*th.....I can't say it.
I have the barbeque..I have the tongs..now I need the steaks:D
Alicia Foodycat said…
Wow. I mean WOW! I really have to give that a go. First catch your cocoa nibs...
Jared said…
Those steaks look incredible. I like the idea of using brown sugar in the recipe. Gives the meat a sweet and crunchy outside.
test it comm said…
Those steaks look good. Using the cacao nibs in the rub sounds really interesting! I will have to try it.
cacao nibs and rib eye -I just don't think there can be anything better! Wait I'm trying to think...ok, add an icy cold dry martini (gin!) and that's the best it can be!
Unknown said…
oh goshhhh.....a heaven for carnivores...yummmmm juicy juicy tasty!
Anonymous said…
Wow. Those steaks look AMAZING! I love the idea of the rub too with the smokiness. Yum!
Cakelaw said…
Delicious - I love a good steak, and the use of cocoa nibs is inspired.
Cakelaw said…
Delicious - I love a good steak, and the use of cocoa nibs is inspired.
Anonymous said…
Tried this tonight and while he didn't quite beat his chest he did stick his arms in the air and exclaim, "Wow!!!" In other words, it was a hit.
Made this rub last night and used it on a pork tenderloin and then grilled on the Big Green Egg......magnificent. I did cut back to 1 tblsp of salt and split ancho chili pwdr and chipotle and then I added a tsp of instant espresso pwder. Thanks for sharing...I can't wait to try it on steaks. I think this would actually be good on a grilled boneless chicken breast along side some cheesey grits or even on grilled shrimp w/some cheesey grits. *note to self....make all of the above.
Dee said…
Club me over the head and drag me home, I have to try this! I'm terrified of good meat but cocoa nibs and rave reviews on another blog have convinced me to give this a go. Thank you!

Popular Posts